Gibson Brands Forums

What Les Paul to try to buy.

I'm going to buy a Gibson Les Paul, it's just that I have no idea which years are the best for me. I live in a small town and there ain't much to try except one top dollar music store with only new ones. No used Les Pauls around to even try out. I'm thinking an early 70's deluxe or custom. Any suggestions to a Fender guitar lover/owner?

Hi,

The early 70s were not good years for Gibson (or fender for that fact)! But you can probably seek out a decent one, but due to it's age, it's considered "vintage" and probably gonna be a bit over priced. Also bear in mind Les Paul Deluxe have mini humbuckers, I had one of these back in the day (I think mine was a '73) It was -- ok. You may have better luck looking for something for a Standard that's more current.

Check vintage dealers like www.gruhn.com or www.mandoweb.com. They are a good resource for reliable vintage instruments. There were some great instruments produced in the 1970's. Pete Townshend had several Les Paul Deluxe models. The focused magnetic field of the mini-humbuckers can give the instrument an almost violin like tone. I wish I still had my '74 Les Paul Deluxe. It was one of the best instruments i ever owned.

Archived