Gibson Brands Forums

I Was There!!

Rocky4

So far, can't find an actual video. I was amazed to find even this audio. SRV did 3 songs with Eric, White Room was one of the others and it absolutely rocked. SRV didn't wear a hat (unusual for him on stage) and played a Clapton model Strat (the green one). It was so cool... Saw SRV the night before at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor (2nd row, right center aisle). I remember telling my buddy that if Stevie had a gap in his tour schedule, he'd probably show up and sit in with Clapton. He said "well, it's not like they hang out together...". I told him he obviously hadn't read the interview in Guitar Player a while back, where he talked about being in rehab, and Eric coming to see him.

Saw SRV the preceeding November in Detroit with Jeff Beck, and managed to catch him once more in June of '90 Pine Knob North of Detroit (billed as "With Special Guest Joe Cocker", but oddly, SRV opened for Joe! He was hunble that way).

Heard about the shows at Alpine Valley, and actually considered going. Still not sure if I wish I had, or am glad I didn't.

Caught Steveie Ray a couple of times. When he first came to the east coast, and was still playing a number of hendrix tunes in his set, and later on when physically, he wasn't doing so well. Walked out, and he was sweating heavy, and his eyes seemed rolled back. But even under those conditions, he blew me away. It was clear to me at that point, that this guy had "it".

Archived