Gibson Brands Forums

MM50e sounds/plays well, crudely/slopplily built

garyyokie

The sound quality of this mandolin (when amplified) is great. It has a good tone that can cut through bass and drums onstage. The unplugged tone is great for practice and acoustic playing. After very slight bridge and neck adjustment, the playability will be close to perfect.

The mandolin's construction is a real letdown. I own several Epiphones. My EJ-200, Les Paul, Joe Pass Emperor II, and Riviera P-93 are beautifully crafted instruments. They are as well-crafted as they are playable. I urge all my friends to test an Epiphone before they settle on an instrument. The MM-50e, however, has a grotesque blemish of unplaned, gnarled wood just left of the neck where it joins the body. The wood under the fingerboard is crudely carved. Much of the wood on the neck and scroll is noticeably pitted. Several areas where the binding meets the body are badly inked/stained—it looks as if someone sloppily outlined the binding with a dried-out, fuzzy felt-tip pen. I never expect such inferior work from Epiphone.

Again, the mandolin produces great sound and is playable. The esthetic appearance of the mandolin is very disappointing. I will share these comments with Eipphone.

I paid full price for what I consider to be a blemished instrument or a factory second. It is the first factory second of a newly manufactured Epiphone I have ever seen. It does not appear damaged at all, just crudely made. I've had uniformly good service from Musician's Friend—this is the first problem I've encountered over many years of ordering from this company.

I would expect to buy an instrument in this condition for $150.00 to $200.00 less than the sale price. Considering the delay between the initial order and delivery (over a month), I expected a pristine instrument. I also expected swifter delivery, even accounting for a manufacturing backlog on the part of Epiphone.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived