Gibson Brands Forums

String jumps out of nut in Robot V!

Nightspore68

I was playing my robot V this weekend and the low E string kept popping out of the nut. [crying] I thought maybe I had put too large a gauge in there - sometimes I use GHS Gilmours which have an 0.050" E string - but I checked my records and I'm actually using Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46s, which are the same size as what Gibson puts on these guitars to begin with.

Anyone else have a string make a run for it like this?

I guess I'm going to have to take it to a retailer for warranty work, although I don't look forward to entrusting it to them. Maybe I'll try another set of strings first; it's due for a change anyway.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Maybe one of our service centers can help out, if you purchased the guitar through an authorized dealer. Where are you located exactly?

Well, I might try that. I got the guitar new from Apple Music in Portland, OR, and I believe I registered it through the mail. I'm in Atlanta (technically in Smyrna, GA). Would I need to bring it to a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash or other retailer to get it to the service center?

Thanks,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a different set of strings, Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46s, with the same result:

2012-07-05_21-37-33_871.jpg

I think the nut is cut incorrectly. Am I correct in assuming this is something I shouldn't attempt to fix myself? I'm not the best craftsman... but it looks like it just needs to be filed?

Stumped,

Nightspore68

Archived