Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at J-200

GDC

So, Gary... Did you pull the trigger?

Yes went and got it today. It's a May 2012 build and still very green - still smells like laquer. It's very tight.

I'd call it very good, I can hear what I want in it and it's reasonably loud, though not really quite loud enough. It's not spectacular. The tone and balance are there, though, and it will sound off when really hit hard. It doesn't like tortise picks but does like Clayton Ultems for some reason.

I got it at GC so I have 30 days to return it, but I don't think I could bear to take it back. It's very well built with no flaws I can find. And the tone and balance are spectacular. Dang near makes me melt.

I have an old bone saddle that was replaced when I had my J-100 refretted a fews years back. I slid out the tusq saddle and put in the bone one and was surprised to hear a slightly noticeable difference for the good. I've never put a lot of stock in nut, saddle, and pin changes to make any significant difference, but I think I'll have it boned.

It needs a set up. It's a tad high on both the nut and saddle side. It has a tad bit much forward bow I think, well possibly; it's still settling in I guess.

It has this bizare UST pickup system in it, with a large control panel and apparently some sort of preamp device attached to the top by the soundhole of all places. Some sort of Fishman product. It is umimpressive plugged in - too quacky. Though I'm sure the device doesn't weigh much, I can't help but wonder if that thing might be restricting the top a little. The PU thing retails for about 300 bucks so in a way I hate to rip it out, but I think a Baggs with a thing that sticks to the bridgeplate would be a better choice. I have one of those on another guitar and it sounds quite good. This thing would be killer plugged in with a good PU.

So I'm probably going to keep it and sink yet another 300 bucks in it for a set up and pickup system more to my liking.

I played it today at our Sunday picking so its got a lot of fingerprints on it. I'll try to get some pix up in a day or two when I get it shined back up.

I appreciate everyone's interest and help. Good forum here.

Archived