Gibson Brands Forums

Melody maker Flying Vs and Explorer

AlanH

Hi All,

My first time here on the (mostly) spikey side.

I have two faded Gibbys Studio (LP and SG) and love 'em- I think they're great quality for the money.

Anyway, I'm interested in the value offered by the new MMs but would have to sell one of my guits to get the deal "approved" the missus. My Kramer Pacer Classic 2010 would probably be the one to make way. The Indonesian made Pacer's a great guit for the money but (and this might be a bit psychological) it lacks a quality feel. Also I already have 3 superstrats so could certainly make do without.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody had tried these spikey MMs and could tell me what they think about their feel and sound, given that there are a few cut corners (hopefully mostly in reduced features rather than cheaper components and compromised craftsmanship.)

Thanks

Hello Alan! I don't know how much will this help You: I've tried the SG. Although it's an SG, neither a V, nor an Explorer, but the wood and the hardware is the same, the difference is in the shape only. I have to say they offer lot for their price. Constuction quality is great. I really liked the overall feel of the guitar (way better than the 60's Tribute SG Special's). The Seymour Duncan pickup is quite hot (for me - I prefer mellower tones)! They sound modern, edgy, very metal. The baked maple board is great (not worser than the ebony at all). The only thing which was strange at first is the stopbar without the bridge, but I got used to it quite quickly (I played it for 20 minutes, maybe?), but it can be replaced by a Schaller combination unit anytime. But this one thing - the stopbar - kind of contradicts to the modern sound they have. Cheers... Bence

Ah, forgot to say! They are maple bodied! Rare thing for a Gibson these days! The components and the craftsmanship didn't seemed to be cheap at all. Well, the finish, maybe a bit, but if You aren't against the "satin trend" You will like it too. Cheers... Bence

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a SG and LP MM and I thought they were really nice especially for 300, so much so that I actually really want one know. I thought the SG and LP have a 491 in them and the V and X have a Duncan pickup. I haven't played the X or V but from what I can tell off the Utube they sound really hot... I preferred the SG over the LP though. LP was really thin, SG seemed to be the normal SG size... not sure about the X and V, again. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived