Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green's Splinter Group..GREAT COMEBACK!

rednefceleb

I'm watchin' one of my favorite DVDs. "An Evening With 'Peter Green Splinter Group' In Concert". You all owe it to yourselves to hit the Amazon Website and seek this one out. It's a lesson about a man who 'came back' to the world of music and 'did it right'. With Nigel Watson on Guitar/ Peter Stroud on Bass / Larry Tolfree on Drums/ / Roger Cotton on Hammond B3 and tripling on Guitar: it's doubly great. "Greenie" is the most humble guitarist I have ever seen. There's also some licks that you don't know so buy it and learn them! Also, Peter & Nigel both play thru Fender Prosonics (Zinky Designed) custom amps. I owned one of these in 1998 and (of course) should have kept it! Look one up...they put down Mesa Engineering for that price range. Rednefceleb!

I'm watchin' one of my favorite DVDs. "An Evening With 'Peter Green Splinter Group' In Concert". You all owe it to yourselves to hit the Amazon Website and seek this one out. It's a lesson about a man who 'came back' to the world of music and 'did it right'. With Nigel Watson on Guitar/ Peter Stroud on Bass / Larry Tolfree on Drums/ / Roger Cotton on Hammond B3 and tripling on Guitar: it's doubly great. "Greenie" is the most humble guitarist I have ever seen. There's also some licks that you don't know so buy it and learn them! Also, Peter & Nigel both play thru Fender Prosonics (Zinky Designed) custom amps. I owned one of these in 1998 and (of course) should have kept it! Look one up...they put down Mesa Engineering for that price range. Rednefceleb!

It's so sad what happened to Peter. Nigel plays Peter's old riffs very well. Peter Green is one of my favorite guitarists. I see people hammering Nigel and slamming Peter. No matter who is playing that wonderful music, I would rather hear it this way, than not at all. It's a very sad story. "Man of the World". pretty much sums up how he was feeling before he went off the deep end..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI9ZkcwhnlE&feature=fvwrel

A good documentary for those interested. HERE

I know what Greenie went thru to some extent from personal experience with psychedelics. I was mostly taken aback by Peter's soft vocals. He can't (or won't) sing strongly like he did with "Mac'. The DVD of Green & Nigel was produced on 2003. That's a long time to be standby again. Rednefceleb.

I know what Greenie went thru to some extent from personal experience with psychedelics. I was mostly taken aback by Peter's soft vocals. He can't (or won't) sing strongly like he did with "Mac'. The DVD of Green & Nigel was produced on 2003. That's a long time to be standby again. Rednefceleb.

"I know what Greenie went thru to some extent from personal experience with psychedelics"

Me too, I am a child of the 50's and 60's. Lots of fun..lol. But... some didn't make it so good. Peter is just barely there now. He sings softly and plays very softly. If you watch the whole video from the Splinter group session, now and then he gets going pretty good. But he's a dazed man. We are lucky to have made it out alive I guess. Man that was along time ago...

I am a child of the 50's and 60's. Man that was along time ago...

+1. Yes it was. They were some great times though. The excitement of all the heavy British blues groups in their prime. Besides Fleetwood Mac, early Zeppelin, Cream, Savoy Brown, Jeff Beck Group (Rod Stewart era), Ten Years After, Bloodwyn Pig, etc. Wow, great music coming out constantly for a while. Those were the days.

Peter Green in his Fleetwood Mac days is one of my favorite guitarists. Such emotion in his playing, and those string bends...whew.

I think same!! The melodies he played are awesome in those days. The record "Then play on " is one of my most listened records of all time.

Archived