Gibson Brands Forums

New Pr5-e/vs

MissouriPicker

My son and his wife gave me a new Epi Pr5-e for my birthday. Hadn't been in the market for one in particular, but I have to say that it truly seems to be a sweet instrument. Very tight and nicely-finished guitar. Real nice tone acoustically, and it rocks plugged-in. I like the sunburst also. Everything seems to be done well. Looks very clean on the inside from what I can see, although I couldn't care less if I saw a string of glue up in some corner. A really good point is it's playability. Right out of the box it was very easy on the fingers. Fast neck. Not as thick as my other Gibbys, but still very comfortable for me. Excellent setup. I changed strings on it last night and the difference was quickly heard. I swear, some of the strings they put on new Gibsons and Epis are made from old barbed-wire...lol...Anyway, I like this guitar and will use it Tuesday evening at my Spin Pizza gig....Nice, nice instrument. [thumbup]

Yeah... I'll show you mine... <grin>

I probably wear a lot lighter strings on mine than most would want - the DR Zebra 9-42.

I play it more or less very gently and except at home, with the AE, you don't need to beat on it to have plenty of headroom for dynamics.

I figured I got it as kinda a cute cheapie in ways, but... it looked so much like the old 1950s Gibson CF100E a friend of mine has and since it's so close in size and shape to my 175... I hadda try it.

Funny thing is, the first time I played it "out," it was almost new and I got gutsy and took it to a show I was scheduled for. Among others, the guy with the CF100e was there; and so was a Brit video crew that included guys who had done music vids. Their comment was that it was a great-sounding guitar; and it just went straight through the board.

For something to use on a fingerpickin' gig where you can use an amp 'stedda banging on it, I'm convinced this is an exceptionally well-designed piece and mine is well made as well.

I'll now use it over the electrics for folksie/bluesie parlor guitar gentle stuff - although this particular pix is doing "Last Steam Engine Train" at a small gig. Worked fine for that.

The camera makes it look more reddish than it is.

If you wanna play bluegrass, I'd say, "Get a dread or AJ."

m

Archived