Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Utra and 339 Pros

glennc

Hello to all,

I have become interested in the Epiphone 339 Pro guitar. Unfortunately I was unable to locate one locally to play, but did find a natural Ultra 339. Handy instrument and nice neck thickness for me. My question is that on the particular guitar I was inspecting it appeared as if the neck was made up of 6 different pieces of wood. The normal headstock wings are two, the neck heel is another and the piece over the body was another and finally it appeared and was described by the salesman as scarf cut of the headstock to the neck. Is this the norm for this guitar? Thanks for any assistance

Glenn

I can not say if it is normal for this guitar, or any guitar for that matter, but I would be a bit suspicious of any neck built with that many pieces.

I can, see a total of 5 pieces.

1 + 2. Left and Right glued on headstock "Wings".

3. Headstock piece.

4. Neck piece, joined to headstock with scarf joint at approx. 3rd fret.

5. Fingerboard.

I can not say if it is normal for this guitar, or any guitar for that matter, but I would be a bit suspicious of any neck built with that many pieces.

I can, see a total of 5 pieces.

1 + 2. Left and Right glued on headstock "Wings".

3. Headstock piece.

4. Neck piece, joined to headstock with scarf joint at approx. 3rd fret.

5. Fingerboard.

Hello Gordy01,

That is sort of my first impression. The 2 piece wings on the headstock are IIRC normal for Gibson guitars and don't affect my feelings. Again, on Epiphones I have seen the neck heel have a separate piece. I don't like it, but I know it to be normal and have owned Epiphone guitars and it did not seem to be more than an aesthetic issue. The fingerboard being glued to the neck is normal and not an issue. My concern is gluing the headstock to the neck. It just so happened that the guitar store was selling a used natural Epiphonedot ES-335 for over $200 and the headstock had broken in that location and was super-glued back on. Again, not being a luthier or wood worker, it concerns me about the famed glued in neck, as the piece that shows above the maple cap and the ends of the fretboard bindings seems to show another separate piece. I have been trying to get a hold of Gibson Customer Service but no one has been available the few times I've tried regarding this question. The guitar though seems so comfortable and playable. We'll see!! Thanks for the response!

Glenn

Archived