Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone dot sound!

BigDave78

Hey All,

I recently picked up and epiphone Dot at my local shop and love this guitar. I am having one issue that is a bit of a annoyance for me. When i turn the volume up on the amp the sound seem to get less defined and and am wondering if this is a PU problem or if there is something else that can be done to help this guitar sound better at a higher volume level. I am playing through a 65 fender deluxe reverb reissue. if anyone has any suggestions on how i can get the best sound out of this even at a higher volume It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Is the problem also present using another guitar on the same amp or is it really only specific to that one guitar ?

The pickups are not the strongest point on most Epiphone or imported guitar; many people complain about muddyness and lack of definition sometime.

I could not stand stock pickups on any of my Epis and they have all benefit from an upgrade.

Is the problem also present using another guitar on the same amp or is it really only specific to that one guitar ?

The pickups are not the strongest point on most Epiphone or imported guitar; many people complain about muddyness and lack of definition sometime.

I could not stand stock pickups on any of my Epis and they have all benefit from an upgrade.

I haven't had any problem with my strat on the amp it does naturally break up a bit once you hit about 4 on the volume but don't lose the definition of the sound.

ive thought about getting 57 classics put in but i figure if im going to put money into new PU i should just get everything up graded fro the wiring to pots, new switch which im estimating will be about 500 dollars worth of upgrades. Will this make a big enough difference in the performance of the guitar to justify the cost. I really do love the feel and tone at lower volume of it and really want this to be a guitar i can enjoy for years to come.

I haven't had any problem with my strat on the amp it does naturally break up a bit once you hit about 4 on the volume but don't lose the definition of the sound.

ive thought about getting 57 classics put in but i figure if im going to put money into new PU i should just get everything up graded fro the wiring to pots, new switch which im estimating will be about 500 dollars worth of upgrades. Will this make a big enough difference in the performance of the guitar to justify the cost. I really do love the feel and tone at lower volume of it and really want this to be a guitar i can enjoy for years to come.

That is legitimate questionning.

In my case, since I had bound already with my Sheraton when playing unplugged, the neck being perfect and all it was justified.

I invested overall about 350-400 including classic 57/57+ and BCS 335 harness but I did the job myself.

I also recommend to change the wiring and pots at the same time.

Such an upgrade will not radically change the way a guitar sound, but will clearly open it up.

If you like the way it sounds at low volume or even unplugged then it will benefit, if not than it is not worth the expense.

Also to keep in mind, is any money invested in such way is more or less lost in the resale value as it is not an ES 335 and will never be.

I love my Sheraton and will never part with it...

Big Dave,

I think an upgrade to Gibson or other high quality pickups will solve your problem. It has been my experience that cheaper/import pickups sometimes sound good at low volume, but really fall apart when you turn the amp up. I put some Classic 57's in my Epi 355 and it made a huge difference. Sounds close to my Gibson 355 now and holds up at gig volume (just did an outdoor gig with it yesterday).

You can also replace the wiring and other electronics if you want for reliability purposes, but it won't improve the tone unless you have an off-spec component.

Tom

I did this to my Dot and it became a totally different guitar (for the better!) [thumbup] I had never planned on selling it anyway, so for me it made sense. If you think it's a keeper, go for it.

Thanks all for your input it has helped me decide to get this baby the upgrades it deserves. I'm not interested in the resale value of this guitar as I think with the upgrades I will only love the guitar that much more. I'm relatively new to the guitar world and am glad that I can come on here and ask questions to people that are much more knowledgeable then myself.

Thanks

Dave

Archived