Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar-sturbation

Thundergod

I enjoyed the Lynott tribute featuring these two, thanks!

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKyzfh3nOaU

I don't think Brian has stood up to well to the trappings of rock'n'roll to be fair. Flip flops and leather trousers LOL! He did make a few mistakes but if you see interviews with him over the last decade you'll see how spaced out he is. I don't think he's got that many teeth left either.

Don't forget he uses a lot less effects and distorion than GM did too.

This is somewhat more like it from a more "with it" Robertson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAE3NMERwGw

Yes, his fashion sense is gone too.......:rolleyes:

His chemical dependency and his attitude @#$%ed him up (and got him out of Thin Lizzy twice). He is a smoker and he used to get in fights a LOT. I find it very sad that he and many of my other heroes, including EVH, Michael Schenker, and Ace Frehley, have flawed playing skills and personalities due to their substance abuse and lifestyle. The other guitar players of Lizzy don't have that flaw (even though alcohol contributed to Gary's death and Scott Gorham used to be a heroin addict) .

Robbo's tone was merely a Les Paul with PAFs, a Marshall head, wah, and either tape echo or reverb with no overdrive pedals at all. Gary always had (or at least since the early 80s) overdrive pedals and other effects (chorus and delay), which made his sound a little fatter than Brian's. Also, Brian is a very feel-type of player; he doesn't have the chops or technique that Gary had. Gary could shred with Steve Vai if he wanted to. Robbo was a blues-rock player with soul. Explains why he didn't last long with Motorhead....

And in the Emerald/Still In Love With You video, it wasn't just his solos that were weak. He played the Emerald rhythm parts sloppy and a little inaccurate.

He's a blues-rock player. Gary was too, but he was also a shredder with technique and chops. That sums it up.

Archived