Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar-sturbation

Thundergod

I used to be a fan of Zakk, I loved how his LPs looked and how he played, he was a non shredder in a shredder world and he did fine.

Now after a while without listening to him or watching his videos I found this one... excuse me but IMO it's just fretboard masturbation and nothing else, really cheesy parts (you watch it and you'll know what I'm talking about), I know he HAS TO IMPRESS the audience but I think he fell to everyone else's level with this kind of thing, maybe it's the standard procedure now? Play as many notes as possible in a given time and don't mind if they are actually something.

Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X234-cs-W8

Yeah I agree.. its just a pointless excercise in speed... who frikken cares.. WHERES THE SOUL DUUUDDES!

However... it is a business aswell, so I guess if thats what makes him money then so be it?

I did find this a while ago that I prefered..

Thanks TG I now have a headache.

Great guitar player, better then I'll ever be, but I didn't enjoy a single note.

Exactly my point, there are times when he's just randomly playing chromatically up and down... but people seem to like it.

Lots of free cheese too: back playing, shoulder playing, teeth playing, anthem (a little generic by now, every guitarist even those who aren't from the US is playing their version which I think is a disrespect to the anthem and the country).

I almost never engage on "guitar soloing" when gigging or playing shows with my band or some band that pays me to play with them, even tho lots of people ask for it, I just don't have it in me to be a show off and do random stuff I know everyone will think is great and difficult when it actually is just noise.

Now, if I was paid half of what he gets paid to do just that, I'd do it the whole day and night. [lol]

Yeah I agree.. its just a pointless excercise in speed... who frikken cares.. WHERES THE SOUL DUUUDDES!

However... it is a business aswell, so I guess if thats what makes him money then so be it?

I did find this a while ago that I prefered..

Agreed, that video is better. He is actually a great player with lots of other things going on that make his whole artist/entertainer persona more valuable and interesting, I prefer to listen to him play than to listen to him soloing with no direction. [thumbup]

The extended solo for Ozzy's guitarists is obligatory but, for me, this man has it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAohdmCl4o

I love the tricks he does: those double handed slides, tapping with the thumb used as a bridge, tuning down and then back up again and then using the selector switch for a tremolo effect. He bends the behind the nut to get tremolo too. As impressive now as it was in 1984 and all very melodic when put together as an extended solo, IMO.

He's an incredible blues player too if you've ever listened to the band Badlands that he put together after leaving Ozzy.

Jake E Lee kicks ***.

Back to the original topic, I saw BLS opening for Judas Priest earlier this year, and during his solo everyone else left the stage and he pretty much did that exact same thing. It felt extremely long (I think it was 10 minutes.. seemed like 30) I was bored after about 30 seconds of it. It was terble, just terble... [thumbdn]

Too bad too because the solos in his songs were actually pretty good, and I like his "book of shadows" album alot.

I used to be a fan of Zakk, I loved how his LPs looked and how he played, he was a non shredder in a shredder world and he did fine.

Now after a while without listening to him or watching his videos I found this one... excuse me but IMO it's just fretboard masturbation and nothing else, really cheesy parts (you watch it and you'll know what I'm talking about), I know he HAS TO IMPRESS the audience but I think he fell to everyone else's level with this kind of thing, maybe it's the standard procedure now? Play as many notes as possible in a given time and don't mind if they are actually something.

Opinions?

It is the old story: It's all about the show.

I myself feel really good that I can play "Need You Love so Bad"

and get the feeling into the notes plus carry on with my own improvisation.

Same goes for "Slabo Day" and "Samba pa ti".

This is what playing guitar means for me.

But I guess everyone is different and nowadays every kid wants to be a speed-king

'cause this is what you are being judged by plus metal rules.

Playing with soul is for the old farts.

I love being an old fart.

Back to the original post.

He even makes blues sound like Guitar-sturbation.

Well id say at least it really shows how well plays, not hiding beind distortion like alot of people do..

I still dont like it though :P

Sort of agree with what most are saying

I appreciate the technique and he's certainly got the chops, but there's very little that is being said in the never ending barrage of notes.

For me the same can be said for some of the Jazz guys like Jimmy Bruno, and even stretching over to guys like Steve Vai. Talented players? Oh yea! No doubt...

But I can't listen to more than 4 or 5 minutes in one sitting. TMI

But that said, having read and watched a number of Zak's interviews (like the one in this post) I appreciate where his heart and head is at.

PS: I really liked that acoustic clip posted, too bad he doesn't do more of that stuff.

Opinions?

The tapping he did at the start was very Hendrix-y lol I liked it

Although I tend to prefer older Zakk and his older tones (his original "Rebel" LPC, old JCM 800s and Boss SD-1 rather than his newer stuff), I still think he's still one of the best guns around. He may get dumped upon for his "wank" and his pinch harmonics, but I still enjoy his work a ton. His musical vocabulary is actually very impressive: metal, classic rock, southern rock, blues, classical, folk, country, and more. He can play the blues, he can shred (obviously), he can create great riffs (obviously), and he can chicken-pick like it's nobody's business!

Has anyone saw that video of he and Slash doing "Voodoo Chile" at Gibson's 100th Anniversary party in 1994? Great! And although it's not a competition and Slash was still great (although his guitar couldn't be heard in the mix!), Zakk trampled him like Gary Moore trampled Brian Robertson on "Emerald" at the Phil Lynott tribute concert (called "One Night In Dublin: A Tribute To Phil Lynott) in 2005/6!

Sorry Slash (and Brian Robertson, for that matter) fans, I just thought he was nervous (probably drunk or on something since it was 1994....) and didn't cut loose, which Zakk did.

Has anyone saw that video of he and Slash doing "Voodoo Chile" at Gibson's 100th Anniversary party in 1994? Great! And although it's not a competition and Slash was still great (although his guitar couldn't be heard in the mix!), Zakk trampled him like Gary Moore trampled Brian Robertson on "Emerald" at the Phil Lynott tribute concert (called "One Night In Dublin: A Tribute To Phil Lynott) in 2005/6!

Sorry Slash (and Brian Robertson, for that matter) fans, I just thought he was nervous (probably drunk or on something since it was 1994....) and didn't cut loose, which Zakk did.

I enjoyed the Lynott tribute featuring these two, thanks!

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKyzfh3nOaU

I don't think Brian has stood up to well to the trappings of rock'n'roll to be fair. Flip flops and leather trousers LOL! He did make a few mistakes but if you see interviews with him over the last decade you'll see how spaced out he is. I don't think he's got that many teeth left either.

Don't forget he uses a lot less effects and distorion than GM did too.

This is somewhat more like it from a more "with it" Robertson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAE3NMERwGw

Archived