Gibson Brands Forums

2012 Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass???

Plainsman

Hi everyone. I'm a guitar player looking to get a bass. One that has really caught my eye is the Epi Les Paul Special bass. I can't find hardly any info or reviews on this thing. Does anyone on here own one? What can you tell me about it? I've only played P Basses before, and most of my favorite bands also use P basses. I just thought the Epi looked cool and different. Thanks!

I don't own one personally but I've played a bunch of them at Guitar Center and I have a friend who owns two. the ones I've played have been well built and nicely finished. I like their sound and the way they feel. if you have a GC nearby, try one out. I think they're a good value instrument. there's a bunch of threads on talkbass.com if you want other owners impressions.

I don't own one personally but I've played a bunch of them at Guitar Center and I have a friend who owns two. the ones I've played have been well built and nicely finished. I like their sound and the way they feel. if you have a GC nearby, try one out. I think they're a good value instrument. there's a bunch of threads on talkbass.com if you want other owners impressions.

Thanks for the info. I live wa-a-a-a-a-a-y out in the sticks, 4 hours on the highway from the nearest Guitar Center. No way I'm gonna drive that far for a cheap bass. Over an hour to the nearest small music store, with not much of a selection. So I'm gonna have to buy this thing online.

I saw a review from Nevada Music and thought the bass sounded really good. I'm talking myself into it, I guess.

• 1 month later...

If you haven't already gotten that Les Paul Special bass yet, you may also want to consider the older Korean made Epiphone Les Paul Standard model. They made them back in the 90's. They have an arch top, come in a nice honey/cherry burst or black, and have binding on the body. They have tone controls for each pickup (V/V/T/T), nicer fret markers than the Specials. The specials have a non-arch top body. I own both a Special and a Standard. If I'd known about the Standard when I bought the special, I would have gotten the Standard on looks alone. From a sound standpoint, the Special has a nice deep fat bottom. The Standard can get that sound as well if you dial down the tone, but the Standard can also get a brighter sound as well. So it's gives you a little more range of sounds to work with.

Price wise the Standards go for about the same price as a new Special. on eBay they are usually in the $280-300 range. There aren't any currently listed on eBay, but here is a listing for a one that sold recently with some good pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=110903439144&nma=true&rt=nc&si=T9WYLSuNUMxLJLYlBSxMuJqFEAs%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Archived