Gibson Brands Forums

WTB Kalamazoo Oriole and KG-14

sumner77

How sad my time machine is broken. Back in '85 I bought an old Kalamazoo flat top, no idea what model. It was a medium brown sunburst with no binding at all (that I can remember). It was all original but the neck had a bow and of course there was no truss rod. I bought it for $20. It sat around for a while and then I put a high nut on it and sold it as a Hawaiian guitar.

Thanks cunk, that was the full spectrum of KG-11s, wasn't it? Perhaps wrongly, I've concluded the L-00 size KG-14 is the better guitar for me. Admit I've never played an 11 and currently love the L-00 size Gibsons. Appreciate hearing from anyone with experience playing both.

I used to own a KG-14---it was spruce/maple. Most of them are spruce/mahogany. The Oriole is spruce/maple. My KG-14 was sunburst on top, with caramel stained back and sides. It was in very good shape, no cracks and no neck reset done or needed. They are generally very brassy sounding, with lots of midrange honk to them. Mine was not particularly nuanced or refined, but it was loud----very loud. As you might expect, it excelled at bluesy, ragtimey, oldtimey things.

Archived