Gibson Brands Forums

good pickup for a B-25-12

DCBirdMan

Check out this killer, orig owner B-25-12. Never seen one in tobacco sunburst -- all of them were natural or cherry sunburst. Not a scratch on it. Just had a pro neck reset done and so the action is super low, with the distance between strings and frets approaching zero. Great sound for a small box. This was a freak of nature that survived. Original owner claims it had no strings on it for 25 years... probably one reason it's good.

Anyway, what are suggestions for a pickup? I must say I am very pleased with the K&K pure, I think it is called, has mini onboard preamp, on of those 9v battery things. It's in my '69 J-50 and sounds great.

It appears the K&K for 12 string is a bit different-- larger pickup pads. Any others ideas? I know sound hold p/u have improved a lot. Only no go is anything with an outboard preamp.

Sure having fun w/ this.

post-35192-051734100 1343514511_thumb.jpg

I have a '65 B45-12 with the back truss, known as the "Concert" Edition. Unfortunately, Gibson was attempting to mimic a fretless effect with it, so I remember the easier action on the B25-12's my buddy's had. They also had a brighter tone. The pick-up that I bought for mine, back in the day that was recommended for it ( I bought it when your guitar was new ) was the Bill Lawrence FT/45 "The Silencer", along with the SHUBB Capo, also designed for the Gibson 12's (can't remember the model # of the SHUBB, but it specifically mentions it's for a 12-string in the ordering catalogue). The Lawrence is fairly mellow, likely due to the high action of my vintage B45. I've not seen my pick-up on the Lawrence web site but there'll likely be a specific model for a 12. I'm sorry I can't let mine go (since it would've matched your vintage perfectly), as I purchased it at Sam's ABC Pawn Shop in Ottawa, a musicians mainstay for Canadian bands in the '60's & 70's, so it's got sentimental value. I'd only trust the SHUBB Capo, as well, but if it doesn't say it's for a 12 string on the package, have the dealer order you one. My Lawrence likely has less than 10 hours on it and is in it's original package, so like you, I'd consider it as "new original". I'm not sure what a "new" vintage B25's worth, but I wouldn't let it go for less than $1,250.00 (I'd ask $1,750.00)

By the way, I just noticed your thumbnail also has the back truss. It's the first B25 I've seen with it. I didn't think they continued that design into the '70's. You're very lucky the action is low ( I've had mine reset recently and it's still got a fairly heavy action).

I have stuck with DeArmond soundhole pickups since the 1960s so would go with the DeArmond made for 12 strings (I cannot recall the model number). As old school as it gets. Ain't cheap though as these appear to be highly sought after these days.

, so like you, I'd consider it as "new original". I'm not sure what a "new" vintage B25's worth, but I wouldn't let it go for less than $1,250.00 (I'd ask $1,750.00)

By the way, I just noticed your thumbnail also has the back truss. It's the first B25 I've seen with it. I didn't think they continued that design into the '70's. You're very lucky the action is low ( I've had mine reset recently and it's still got a fairly heavy action).

Understand 'truss rod' but never heard the term back truss... I am guessing mine is mid 60s, because of trapeze tailpiece. Will check the serial # pretty soon against all the books/sites that help you date Gibsons.

I might consider a soundhole pickup. Sure like my K&K however.

RB

Archived