Gibson Brands Forums

First time Epi owner - Es-339 Pro

cdouglas

Hello all,

I took delivery of my first Epi yesterday, a Cherry Es-339 Pro. This is the first non-strat style guitar I have owned in over 20 years. Decided on it since I wanted a LP type guitar but without the heft and I really like the neck on these where I didn't like the necks of most LPs I played. I didn't get a chance to play a Pro before buying one, only an Ultra.

Love the way the guitar looks, plays well except for some buzz on 5th and 6th strings, which I hear is common. I raised the action a bit and that seemed to help. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try larger strings on those two. Plays fine sitting and standing, although standing it feels way out in front compared to strat.

I like the sounds of the bridge and both in single coil mode. Haven't really been able to get a sound I really love from the neck in humbucker mode yet. I am used to single coils so might take more playing around. While the single coil mode sounds good and no hum that I noticed, it sounds nothing like a strat, which is fine since I already have one. I wanted something different that what I already had. The Grover tuners seem decent although ratio is a little low compared to what I am used to.

Overall, I am so far happy with purchase and it was worth the 1 month wait for the back-order to fill.

-Chris

----------------

2012 Epi ES-339 Cherry * 2000 Fender Std Strat Blackie * 1987 Ibanez RG550 DSY * 1987 Charvel Model 4 Red * Seagull S6+CW

Congratulations on the Es-339! Very nice guitar. [thumbup]

Check out the frets to see if there is one that is a little high. You can use a credit card to lay down on the frets. Card should lay straight on its edge. If it rocks you have a fret that's not at the proper height. This could possibly be causing a buzz. I know it's something I have encountered on some of my epis.

Congrats on your 339, i have the natural and i love it, ya, string buzz, but i worked the frets and good to go, string height is a little high on these but i have learned to love that too, getting much better bends out of it,

Again congrats and have fun with her. [thumbup]

I used the credit card method mentioned by Brad and frets 9 and 10 are high. I don't think its audible through the amp after I upped the height a little. If it gets to bug me, I'll try to find someone who could fix it. While I am handy and usually DIY everything, I won't attempt this myself.

The new guitar is going back to GC today and maybe back to Gibson depending on what the tech says. Pickups don't work right when selector switch in middle, like switch is shorted. I am also going to ask them to fix the frets.

**Update ** there was no problem with switch. I didn't know that the vol pots on epis/gibsons will short out when turned all the way down, this being my first one. Tech said he gets that ALOT. You have to have some volume on both vol pots or they wont work by design. While has said the frets were somewhat uneven all over the board, he seemed to think it was probably within specs and finding one any better would be hard. So I will leave action a little higher and live with it. If I can't, he quoted $100 for a full re-level and re-crown.

Chris

Archived