Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson to take the place of my Martin?

PeteGalaxie

Em7,

Astute observation sir, and thank you for the welcome. The Taylor was a combination experiment of a small body and a short scale neck. I found larger body sizes better for my playing style, but very much enjoy the short scale neck. The J-45rw is perfect, but now what to do with the Taylor? I'm thinking it will be sold or traded, one way or another I'd like a hog J-45 next. Sounds logical doesn't it?

Sounds logical doesn't it?

Ouh, didn't know about the Taylor – hadn't read your sub-notes.

Yeah, if the T has out-lived it self in your herd, a regular (read hog) 45 would be something.

The ongoin' A/B between the 2 slopes would be daily entertainment :

Same songs, same strings, different stings, capos, picks, licks, kicks etc.

I presume Birds are out of the question.

I have a Martin OM28V and a Gibson AJ. I'm just glad I have 2 hands in case of a fire. I am a firm believer of playing a guitar that you own. Sell the Martin (you don't play it) and get a Gibson. You can always buy another guitar.

Good point CrazyHeart. Let's see, I have 3 people in the house, at 2 hands each=...yeah, I like your thinking. Just kidding and I do agree about the playing, none of mine go a week between playings. Although one usually gets played the most, and that changes with time and trades.

Em7, on the money again. I'm off work today and doing exactly what you said. Today's A/B is the Martin and Gibson, both tuned to D (can't hit the high notes even 1/2 step down any more). The D-35 is strung with 11's and the J45 with 12's. New strings on both. Half a song with one, then switch guitars to finish. I'm also comparing some V-picks and Gravity picks with my old favorite Fender Heavy in clown barf. I don't get to do this often and I really enjoy it. When I do an A/B, I really try to get the best out of each guitar, which requires my best. Sometimes I'm surprised at how it tightens up my playing by the end of a session. I rarely reach that point sittin' and pickin' for 30-40 minutes at the end of a day. A Bird...also on the short list.

BTW-J-45rw is still a great answer for the OP. All the deep, lush, smooth tones without the bells ringing. If that makes any sense? I like both.

Archived