Gibson Brands Forums

Presentation and request help about vintage "Sorrento". Rare?.

D22-S

Hi all. First sorry for my bad English. My name is Carlos. I'm not a musician, I play guitar only occasionally at home, but I like guitars, vintage especially.

I bought this "Sorrento" few days ago. Pickguard is missing, but the rest is in good condition. It was made in USA on 1996 I think (Has an inside blue label with 801853 serial number). But I have a question, all "Sorrento" I saw have inlays on fingerboard (oval or dot), but this doesn't. I think the neck has not been tampered. Does anyone know why, is it a rarity? or are there more of this type. Thanks.

d7b59f5d31f657b9363aa249dfbd6145o.jpg

cb55d8768ad0c890fe0e01ef14c308c1o.jpg

8e457ac98bc5c342ee2d9711aead2f2bo.jpg

Upppsssss!!!!!!. First thanks for answer "TommyK". Now I haven't more photos, the guitar is in luthier's workshop for a setup and little revarnishing on the neck. I'll have it within a month, things of varnish drying time. I'll post pictures after that time. Greetings.

I finally found the serial number on the head. Is hardly to see.And I have amistake in first post the correct number is 801583 ](*,)

b47ec300d403469384e3a9a38636083eo.jpg

BTW, I just noticed this pic. This type of serial numbering is NOT INDICATIVE of a Norlin era guitar. This is, most likely, a pre-Norlin guitar. This places it's manufacture in Kalamazoo, Michigan, possibly in the 1960's, but no later than 1970. This means it is worth significantly more than if it were a Norlin era guitar.

Edit: Can I call them or can I call them: http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=Sorrento. Note that yours has the 1960's butter bean tuners buttons. The re-issues (1990's) had the keystone tuner buttons.

Price wise, it adds a zero. In what appears to be near immaculate condition, at least a thousand US dollars, but price depends on your market. It will only fetch that kind of money if someone near you is has that kind of money and is willing to part with it. This is not going to be enough money to finance retirement, but it is significant enough to guard it against theft. If you awoke in a burning house, this would be close to the first thing you'd grab before leaving the apartment.

This places it's manufacture in Kalamazoo, Michigan, possibly in the 1960's, but no later than 1970. This means it is worth significantly more than if it were a Norlin era guitar.

Hello. Yes , in the label inside guitar is written "Kalamazoo, Michigan"

Edit: Can I call them or can I call them: http://www.epiphonew...title=Sorrento. Note that yours has the 1960's butter bean tuners buttons. The re-issues (1990's) had the keystone tuner buttons.

I sent an email, but they haven't responded.

If you awoke in a burning house, this would be close to the first thing you'd grab before leaving the apartment.

The price doesn't matter now, I will not sell. I'm more interested about "missing" inlays. But if my house burns, my wife will have to wait to be rescued, [lol]

Greetings.

That is a fine guitar. Never sell an acquired guitar if you can afford not to, especially if you got it on the cheap or the original/early owner.

The value of vintage toy trains took a beating with re-issues, but I don't think that's the case with vintage guitars. Aging components and materials give them certain sounds that become desirable. I'm seeing this now that I'm getting older and even the guitars of my youth (past the '60s) seem at least stable and in many cases rise in value...so that's why I stopped trading/selling guitars about 1983.

Plus the real reason is the old ones look sexy and are so damn fun to play.

Thanks for sharing.

Archived