Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson SG Special Faded finish wears off.

netkilleril

Hi all, I bought a sweet Gibson SG Special Faded six months ago, and i noticed that the finish has already wearing off.

Is that normal? no abuse was made, played it only at home for an hour or so each day.

Here are some photos, with and w/o flash, i know it's only minor issue, but it has been only six months since i bought it, brand new.

P1000380.jpg

P1000378.jpg

Yup, the faded series, not only being a satin, the overall finish is thinner than a standard gloss nitro finish.

Mine has wear as well on the upper horn, bottom contour, and oddly enough the inside tip of the lower horn.

Nature of the beast with these models.

Thanks, needles to say I haven't heard anything about it, not on the web or from anyone else.

I don't really mind about the fact the finish wears off , but if the finish is off, the guitar is more vulnerable to humidity, sweat, sun etc which can harm it. or I'm wrong.

Thanks, needles to say I haven't heard anything about it, not on the web or from anyone else.

I don't really mind about the fact the finish wears off , but if the finish is off, the guitar is more vulnerable to humidity, sweat, sun etc which can harm it. or I'm wrong.

No not wrong, all climatic conditions contribute to the natural "breathing" process of the wood.

Look at some of the most well played Gibsons through rock history, most of them are missing half their finish...

Joan Jett's white Melody Makers come to mind,

joanjettguitar.jpg

Some folks pay big money for this, and they even gave it a fancy name, relicing...

So consider it a badge of honor for a well loved/played guitar.

No not wrong, all climatic conditions contribute to the natural "breathing" process of the wood.

Look at some of the most well played Gibsons through rock history, most of them are missing half their finish...

Joan Jett's white Melody Makers come to mind,

joanjettguitar.jpg

Some folks pay big money for this, and they even gave it a fancy name, relicing...

So consider it a badge of honor for a well loved/played guitar.

That's great, thanks man!

Keep in mind that the wood on the Fadeds dent quite easily too. I have a nice little gouge on the front from where I dropped the stopbar while changing strings (only fell from like 3 inches over the guitar). I also have the same kind of wear along the body's edges as you, it bothered me when it was still a new guitar but 4 years later it hasn't really gotten worse and I kind of like the look. The finish on back of the neck is fading nicely, the finish on the body has actually darkened up, and between the bit of rust forming on my neck pup poles and the belt wear on the back, it really looks like the workhorse guitar that it is.

it really looks like the workhorse guitar that it is.

Exactly, that's why i jumped on mine when it was offered to me.

Like I have said in the past about this model, it is a perfect modding platform, and even bone stock a great guitar for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue with my two SGs with the "worn" satin finish. Also, I've seen a "worn" SG that had been played quite heavily for about a year. The finish at the back of the neck was almost totally gone where the player's thumb had touched the neck. Frankly, I would not call that "graceful aging".

So I decided to play it as long as the original frets last, and when it's time for a refret, I'll probably have it sanded down to natural wood and properly refinished.

Archived