Gibson Brands Forums

which LP to choose?

20_Gauge

I totally agree on the tortoise shell pick guard. That doesn't look good haha. You'd think they'd do just a black pickguard or MAYBE a white one....but tortoise shell?

And for the EJ-200, check ebay and craigslist. I'm sure you'll find one somewhere on there. If not, you can always check your local pawn shops or even on sites like musiciansfriend, samash, and Amazon.com for a used one. You're bound to run into one somewhere.

Google it man. Either search "Jason Aldean guitar song books" or "Country guitar fake books", something of that sort. Again, you're bound to find what you're looking for. Thank God for google, am I right? lol

I know right, the tortoise shell 'guard takes away from the beauty of a Black guitar. Epi makes some great lookin' Black Acoustics, why they'd put that 'guard on'em is beyond me.

Yeah I found some refurbished Ebony EJ-200s on eBay for $400, that's prob'ly where I'll get it.

Yeah I did a search for "Jason Aldean guitar book" & only found sheet music for a few individual songs of his but I did find that Country Guitar. Fake Book.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know right, the tortoise shell 'guard takes away from the beauty of a Black guitar. Epi makes some great lookin' Black Acoustics, why they'd put that 'guard on'em is beyond me.

Yeah I found some refurbished Ebony EJ-200s on eBay for $400, that's prob'ly where I'll get it.

Yeah I did a search for "Jason Aldean guitar book" & only found sheet music for a few individual songs of his but I did find that Country Guitar. Fake Book.

Beats me too honestly. I don't understand who thinks that actually looks good? Maybe if you're Britney Spears live band or something it'd do the part. Other than that, I don't really see a purpose for such a bizarre looking pickguard. But hey, it's an easy fix if you decide to pick one up. I think you can buy a new pick guard for as little as twenty bucks. No biggie.

$400 isn't too bad. You need to hurry up and place a bid though before they're gone. But I'd also check in pawn shops too. Sometimes you get lucky and find a guitar that's awesome for barely nothing. My friend went to a local pawn shop and bought a 1960's Gibson Les Paul for barely $200. Perfect condition, absolutely stunning finish, nothing wrong with it at all. Somebody just didn't do their homework when pricing that guitar. Sometimes in pawn shops you get lucky like that.

I went to our local music store yesterday and looked in the tab book section. They had a few Keith Urban, Toby Keith, and Tim McGraw books. If I happen to run across a Jason Aldean, I'll let you know the store information so you they can ship it to you (Our local store does that for just about anything in the store). I'll keep looking.

And did you find anything interesting in that fake book? Anything that can help you?

By the way, sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't had time to log onto my computer at all these past few days.

Beats me too honestly. I don't understand who thinks that actually looks good? Maybe if you're Britney Spears live band or something it'd do the part. Other than that, I don't really see a purpose for such a bizarre looking pickguard. But hey, it's an easy fix if you decide to pick one up. I think you can buy a new pick guard for as little as twenty bucks. No biggie.

$400 isn't too bad. You need to hurry up and place a bid though before they're gone. But I'd also check in pawn shops too. Sometimes you get lucky and find a guitar that's awesome for barely nothing. My friend went to a local pawn shop and bought a 1960's Gibson Les Paul for barely $200. Perfect condition, absolutely stunning finish, nothing wrong with it at all. Somebody just didn't do their homework when pricing that guitar. Sometimes in pawn shops you get lucky like that.

I went to our local music store yesterday and looked in the tab book section. They had a few Keith Urban, Toby Keith, and Tim McGraw books. If I happen to run across a Jason Aldean, I'll let you know the store information so you they can ship it to you (Our local store does that for just about anything in the store). I'll keep looking.

And did you find anything interesting in that fake book? Anything that can help you?

By the way, sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't had time to log onto my computer at all these past few days.

Haha yeah, would be fine for a girl's guitar.

The $400 tag is a "buy it now". Yeah, not bad considering what the "real" ones go for. I'll definitely check out pawn shops. Wow, $200 for Gibson LP, talk about a steal!

Cool that'd be great! Let me know if ya see one. I haven't picked up that fake book yet, it's comin'.

Hey I'm in a different wifi network, am able to post a pic of my gear.

post-38506-084488200 1348851136_thumb.jpg

Haha yeah, would be fine for a girl's guitar.

The $400 tag is a "buy it now". Yeah, not bad considering what the "real" ones go for. I'll definitely check out pawn shops. Wow, $200 for Gibson LP, talk about a steal!

Cool that'd be great! Let me know if ya see one. I haven't picked up that fake book yet, it's comin'.

Hey I'm in a different wifi network, am able to post a pic of my gear.

That's a pretty slick looking guitar you've got there. Definitely got your money's worth.

I still need to post my pics up. I actually just got ANOTHER junior in on Tuesday (it's a Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Double Cutaway). It's a pretty awesome guitar, but it's a little smaller than all of my other Les Paul's (including my Junior). I guess this one is trying to live up to it's name haha.

$400 isn't that bad either. Especially if the bidding never goes above that. There's a chance you can walk away with it VERY cheaply. And I agree, I envy my friend for that. He just walked in and there it was. It sounds delicious too.

I'll definitely let you know. Our music store seems to have a different selection of tab books everytime I go in there, so I'll probably run into one at some time. I'm friends with the owner(s) so I'll have them put it behind the counter for you.

Did you decide which fake book to get? There's a few out there that I know of.

That's a pretty slick looking guitar you've got there. Definitely got your money's worth.

I still need to post my pics up. I actually just got ANOTHER junior in on Tuesday (it's a Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Double Cutaway). It's a pretty awesome guitar, but it's a little smaller than all of my other Les Paul's (including my Junior). I guess this one is trying to live up to it's name haha.

$400 isn't that bad either. Especially if the bidding never goes above that. There's a chance you can walk away with it VERY cheaply. And I agree, I envy my friend for that. He just walked in and there it was. It sounds delicious too.

I'll definitely let you know. Our music store seems to have a different selection of tab books everytime I go in there, so I'll probably run into one at some time. I'm friends with the owner(s) so I'll have them put it behind the counter for you.

Did you decide which fake book to get? There's a few out there that I know of.

Thanks man. Yeah I think it looks pretty sharp, still can't help smiling every time I look at it.

Cool, can't wait to see'em.

Gonna get my Tele next but after that I might go ahead & snatch up that Black EJ, if I can still find it.

Thanks man, 'ppreciate it. Just let me know.

It's `The Ultimate Country Fake Book` $27 on amazon. Will get it soon.

Thanks man. Yeah I think it looks pretty sharp, still can't help smiling every time I look at it.

Cool, can't wait to see'em.

Gonna get my Tele next but after that I might go ahead & snatch up that Black EJ, if I can still find it.

Thanks man, 'ppreciate it. Just let me know.

It's `The Ultimate Country Fake Book` $27 on amazon. Will get it soon.

It's definitely a show stopper man. That's one of the next guitars I'm picking up, a sunburst junior. I need to add another one to my collection :) And hopefully I'll have the pictures up sometime this weekend.

Buying guitars is addicting isn't it? It's like after you get your first tattoo, you automatically want a second. Same thing for guitars haha

Anytime. I'll keep my eye out for ya. I'm probably headin that way Monday, I'll check it for you.

What songs does it have in it?

It's definitely a show stopper man. That's one of the next guitars I'm picking up, a sunburst junior. I need to add another one to my collection :) And hopefully I'll have the pictures up sometime this weekend.

Buying guitars is addicting isn't it? It's like after you get your first tattoo, you automatically want a second. Same thing for guitars haha

Anytime. I'll keep my eye out for ya. I'm probably headin that way Monday, I'll check it for you.

What songs does it have in it?

Haha. Yeah very addicting, only thing that slows me down is lack of $$. I decide on one & I automatically start looking for another one. My wishlist grows every day haha.

Cool. [thumbup]

It says over 700 hits(modern & classic country). In the description it lists songs by Toby Keith, Garth Brooks, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash.

Some of my all-time favorites.

Haha. Yeah very addicting, only thing that slows me down is lack of $$. I decide on one & I automatically start looking for another one. My wishlist grows every day haha.

Cool. [thumbup]

It says over 700 hits(modern & classic country). In the description it lists songs by Toby Keith, Garth Brooks, Hank Jr, Johnny Cash.

Some of my all-time favorites.

I know the feeling. The primary reason I work these days is to support my guitar and gear addiction (bills are secondary haha). It's an expensive hobby...but definitely worth every penny we spend. We're comparable to hyenas. Even after we've made the kill (or in this case bought a new guitar) we can't resist preying on another. As a guitarist and collector, you will never be fully satisfied lol.

And that's cool man. Fake books are pretty awesome. It teaches you the song, but also gives you room to play with the song as well. I think you'll have fun with it.

Hi guys,

I thought it was better to ask here instead of creating a new topic. I want to buy my first guitar and I am thinking of buying this pack http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_players_pack_eb.htm. I wanted to find out if the Epiphone Special-II LTD is the same size as the regular Special II and if its good enough as a first guitar. I was afraid it might be a 3/4 guitar because I can't find anything in Epiphone's website. I am also interested in the Special II GT and the SST Studio. I will play mostly rock and blues/jazz but cause the arctops are more expnesive and dont come out in packs I will probably buy a LP. and this Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I thought it was better to ask here instead of creating a new topic. I want to buy my first guitar and I am thinking of buying this pack http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_players_pack_eb.htm. I wanted to find out if the Epiphone Special-II LTD is the same size as the regular Special II and if its good enough as a first guitar. I was afraid it might be a 3/4 guitar because I can't find anything in Epiphone's website. I am also interested in the Special II GT and the SST Studio. I will play mostly rock and blues/jazz but cause the arctops are more expnesive and dont come out in packs I will probably buy a LP. and this Thanks in advance

Couldn't open that link to see the package or the Special-II LTD but I'd assume it's a full-size LP. I'd say it'd be a perfect "first guitar" value. When I bought my Jr from sweetwater, my associate was telling me how great a value the Special II was 'cause of the 2 pickups. I prob'ly woulda got it but I had that Sunburst LP Jr stuck in my head. Good luck, demian! Post pics.

It's full size.

It's actually a very good first guitar.

I used to be in a band with a guitarist who would occasionally gig with one. They're not bad at all (especially for a little over $100). It's got a little bit thinner neck than most guitars (which I actually prefer), two pickups, and toggle switch. We never had a problem with tuning it (it did slip out of tune occasionally but it's not horrible). After you play it for a while it kind of resolves itself. It's pretty light too (not as light as the junior though).

All in all it's a good guitar.

Go for it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey adam, finally found those songbooks by Brad Paisley & Keith Urban & a few by the Zac Brown Band in a ebay guitar store. Still searching for an Aldean songbook, w/ mmore than 1 song in it.

I ordered the ZBB songbook last night(s'pposed to be delivered mid next week) but will most likely end upper getting the others soon.

Archived