Gibson Brands Forums

which LP to choose?

20_Gauge

The Squier Affinity Series Telecaster is a great guitar.

People tend to call Squier a bad company, but that's really not the case.

Right out of the box the Tele was ready to play.

Don't think that because it says "Squier" on the headstock you're getting a half *** guitar. That's not the case. Some Squiers aren't that great, but with their Affinity Tele, they've put a great guitar at a low price. It's something to seriously look into.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on getting your Junior!

The mustang is a great amp. For a solidstate, it's pretty packed.

I own the Mustang 3 (100 watt combo), and I love it. You can download other tones from various artists straight to your amp.

It's nice.

The Les Paul has more of a warm tone while the Strats have more of a bright tone.

It's mostly got to do with the body size and wood type. Les Pauls are thicker and made with Mahogany while Strats are thinner and made with Alder (mostly). The thicker body gives the Les Paul a warmer and "Fuller" tone. Strats are great guitars, but most people use them as a lead guitar rather than a rhythm (unless you're in a punk band. They tend to use Strats for more of a "punchy" type tone).

Both guitars can get the job done and sound great, but Les Pauls and Teles kind of suit the country style better (in my opinion).

Thanks, adam!

yeah, I'll prob'ly look into gettin' that Squier Affinity Tele & Mustang amp in a few months. Then again, I might get the amp sooner than that.

Anytime man.

If you need a cheap amp Epiphone, Fender, and even Marshall make cheap 10 watt practice amps you can buy.

You can pick one up for less than $100 (Probably closer to $40-$50). I'd check your local music store and see if they have any good deals. But don't let up on the mustang if you get another amp. The Mustang can deliver some awesome tones out of it (Including Keith Urban, Brad Paisely, Garth Brooks, etc signature tones). It's all free (after purchase of the amp) too.

It's a pretty awesome little deal.

The Squier Affinity Series Telecaster is a great guitar.

People tend to call Squier a bad company, but that's really not the case.

Right out of the box the Tele was ready to play.

Don't think that because it says "Squier" on the headstock you're getting a half *** guitar. That's not the case. Some Squiers aren't that great, but with their Affinity Tele, they've put a great guitar at a low price. It's something to seriously look into.

Great, thanks for the info adam!

yeah the Affinity was the 1st Tele I looked at. It looked impressive & the fact it was associated w/ Fender & under $200 was a major selling point. It will be the next guitar I buy.

Anytime man.

If you need a cheap amp Epiphone, Fender, and even Marshall make cheap 10 watt practice amps you can buy.

You can pick one up for less than $100 (Probably closer to $40-$50). I'd check your local music store and see if they have any good deals. But don't let up on the mustang if you get another amp. The Mustang can deliver some awesome tones out of it (Including Keith Urban, Brad Paisely, Garth Brooks, etc signature tones). It's all free (after purchase of the amp) too.

It's a pretty awesome little deal.

Awesome! Yeah, I've already done some lookin' into about the Mustang it looks like a quality amp, & it won't take a chunk outta my wallet.

I might look into one of those 10w amps as a fill-in 'til I get the Mustang though.

Sounds good man.

When you can, post pics of your Junior!

I'm tryin' man, believe me I'm tryin'. Can't visit the forum from my laptop(over my home wifi) for some reason, so I hafta use my smartphone(over my mobile network). Bear with me.

haha it's all good.

No worries. I have the same problem. I just started my account and I have to use my phone a lot too.

I completely understand your predicament lol.

Ok cool, thanks.

Well I don't feel soo bad now, knowing I ain't the only one having this problem lol.

Hey congrats man. Money well spent.

I think you'll come to enjoy it. It's a great little amp (especially with the Fender plugins you can download).

Thanks, adam.

Yeah, another guitar buddy of mine also assured me it's money well spent. He has used the Mustang line for awhile & highly recommended it. The ability to download more presets was a big selling point.

I figured there wasn't much since in getting the 10w amp now & then turn around & get the Mustang a few months later. Then I'd have 2 amps.

Anytime man.

That was kind of the selling point for me as well.

On my amp I've got a Vox AC 30 pre-set (clean) sound and then if I dial over it goes into an epic distortion. The possibilities are endless with that amp.

The 10 watt will actually be plenty loud (especially if you're not jamming with a live drummer). The only downside is that it's only available in a combo amp. While my 100 watt is loud enough to jam (and even gig with), I like having a stack on stage. In the past I used a Fender full stack (I forgot the model number), that I'd have to put a cab on each side of the stage to give an equal balance to both sides of the stage (I was the only guitarist). While you can use the combo amp as a head and hook it up to other cabs, it's too much to lug around haha.

Hi 20 Gauge,congrats on your new toys.I have an Amplug AC30 and I found agreat way to get it to sound more like the real thing.I bought a 1/8" double male end patch cord and plugged one end into the earphone jack of the Amplug and the other into the Aux. In on my Sirius Satellite boombox and it sounds just deadly-it definitely has an authentic AC 30 tone to it.I'm sure that any high quality audio system would give you the same results.

Hi 20 Gauge,congrats on your new toys.I have an Amplug AC30 and I found agreat way to get it to sound more like the real thing.I bought a 1/8" double male end patch cord and plugged one end into the earphone jack of the Amplug and the other into the Aux. In on my Sirius Satellite boombox and it sounds just deadly-it definitely has an authentic AC 30 tone to it.I'm sure that any high quality audio system would give you the same results.

Cool thanks for the suggestion, bonzo.

I was wondering how I could connect my AmPlug into my stereo. Will add a set of patch cables to my list.

Anytime man.

That was kind of the selling point for me as well.

On my amp I've got a Vox AC 30 pre-set (clean) sound and then if I dial over it goes into an epic distortion. The possibilities are endless with that amp.

The 10 watt will actually be plenty loud (especially if you're not jamming with a live drummer). The only downside is that it's only available in a combo amp. While my 100 watt is loud enough to jam (and even gig with), I like having a stack on stage. In the past I used a Fender full stack (I forgot the model number), that I'd have to put a cab on each side of the stage to give an equal balance to both sides of the stage (I was the only guitarist). While you can use the combo amp as a head and hook it up to other cabs, it's too much to lug around haha.

Cool. Many of the songs I'm lookin' to play has distortion. There were some good reviews mentioning the distortion that the Mustang produced. That sold me.

Cool. Many of the songs I'm lookin' to play has distortion. There were some good reviews mentioning the distortion that the Mustang produced. That sold me.

It's got great distortion pre-sets on it...and if you don't like the pre-sets you can put it on a clean channel (my favorite is the Vox AC 30 pre-set) and adjust the gain yourself.

Or you can just buy like a Boss Blues-Driver and set it to a clean setting (so you can switch back and forth). I've got the Blues-Driver (along with the Boss Distortion Pedal) and honestly, I LOVE the way it sounds. You can definitely get the country tone with it.

By the way, how do you like your Junior?

It's got great distortion pre-sets on it...and if you don't like the pre-sets you can put it on a clean channel (my favorite is the Vox AC 30 pre-set) and adjust the gain yourself.

Or you can just buy like a Boss Blues-Driver and set it to a clean setting (so you can switch back and forth). I've got the Blues-Driver (along with the Boss Distortion Pedal) and honestly, I LOVE the way it sounds. You can definitely get the country tone with it.

By the way, how do you like your Junior?

Cool!

Yeah, the BOSS Distortion Pedal is already at the top of my accessories list.

I'm just gettin' the essential set-up(electric & acoustic guitars, amp, cables) right now, I'll look to get pedals after I figure out what sound I want & the knowledge of how to get it.

I'm in love haha. The Junior is a great feeling guitar, the weight of it is perfect. The neck feels so smooth in my hand. Oh & the finish is flawless.

Can't really comment on the sound(have only heard it through the little speaker on my tuner when I got it in tune) yet as I don't have my amp yet(comin' tomorrow). Thanks for asking!

Cool!

Yeah, the BOSS Distortion Pedal is already at the top of my accessories list.

I'm just gettin' the essential set-up(electric & acoustic guitars, amp, cables) right now, I'll look to get pedals after I figure out what sound I want & the knowledge of how to get it.

I'm in love haha. The Junior is a great feeling guitar, the weight of it is perfect. The neck feels so smooth in my hand. Oh & the finish is flawless.

Can't really comment on the sound(have only heard it through the little speaker on my tuner when I got it in tune) yet as I don't have my amp yet(comin' tomorrow). Thanks for asking!

My entire pedal board is BOSS products and I am honestly in love with them. But you've got the right idea. Wait to see how the guitar sounds plugged in before you go spending a lot of money on pedals (Distortion/Overdrive pedals run from $50-$100. Most other pedals range from $100-$150). I don't think you'll be disappointed in the amp though. It's pretty hefty with it's own presets (plus you can adjust them). I don't know if yours comes with a footswitch or not, but if it does then you're pretty much set.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. My Junior is one of my "go to" guitars and I'm sure yours will be too. They're absolutely awesome guitars (especially for $120). The only downside I've EVER seen with my Junior is Epiphone doesn't make them in a Double Cutaway body haha. I'm actually probably gonna buy a Gibson Double Cutaway Junior (in TV Yellow) soon.

But other than that, the guitar is flawless. Great tone, very flexible, light weight, beautiful finish, low action, everything you look for in a guitar.

I'm glad you love it. And once you get your amp in, you definitely need to let me know how the combination of the two work out for you. Like I said, from personal experience I love how it sounds. So I'm hoping you do the same man.

My entire pedal board is BOSS products and I am honestly in love with them. But you've got the right idea. Wait to see how the guitar sounds plugged in before you go spending a lot of money on pedals (Distortion/Overdrive pedals run from $50-$100. Most other pedals range from $100-$150). I don't think you'll be disappointed in the amp though. It's pretty hefty with it's own presets (plus you can adjust them). I don't know if yours comes with a footswitch or not, but if it does then you're pretty much set.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. My Junior is one of my "go to" guitars and I'm sure yours will be too. They're absolutely awesome guitars (especially for $120). The only downside I've EVER seen with my Junior is Epiphone doesn't make them in a Double Cutaway body haha. I'm actually probably gonna buy a Gibson Double Cutaway Junior (in TV Yellow) soon.

But other than that, the guitar is flawless. Great tone, very flexible, light weight, beautiful finish, low action, everything you look for in a guitar.

I'm glad you love it. And once you get your amp in, you definitely need to let me know how the combination of the two work out for you. Like I said, from personal experience I love how it sounds. So I'm hoping you do the same man.

Thanks for assuring me I'm on the right track. I've got a bad habit of diving right in in & buyin' a bunch of stuff I end up not using(or don't know how to).

Thanks, yeah I get a big grin on my face every time I look at it. Yeah, I still am amazed I was able to get such an awesome LP for $130.

I don't think my Mustang comes w/ a footswitch but I'll let ya know if it does when I get it. By the way,, what's the purpose of a footswitch?

Will definitely give you my thoughts after I play around w/ the presets & try'em out w/ my Jr.

Yeah, BOSS is the first brand I look for when I go searching for pedals. Thanks for assuring me I'm on the right track. I've got a bad habit of diving right in in & buyin' a bunch of stuff I end up not using(or don't know how to).

Thanks, yeah I get a big grin on my face every time I look at it. Yeah, I still am amazed I was able to get such an awesome LP for $130.

I don't think my Mustang comes w/ a footswitch but I'll let ya know if it does when I get it. By the way,, what's the purpose of a footswitch?

Will definitely give you my thoughts after I play around w/ the presets & try'em out w/ my Jr.

The footswitch is for changing between two settings on your amp.

Like mine is set to switch between the Vox AC 30 (clean) and the Fender Bassman Overdrive.

If I'm playing a clean piece on my AC 30 and I want to get an overdrive sound immediately without adjusting the amp, I just step on the pedal :) It's the same as buying a pedal for your pedal board, but they work with the amp presets.

I think you've got a good little rig you're setting up. Did your amp ever come in? How do you like it?

And as far as the pedal board goes, it's best to try them out first. While I love the BOSS line, some people hate it and prefer something different (like an analog pedal. Boss is all Digital). I'd try out plenty of different pedals before you settle on one, ya know? Like for my overdrive, I use the Boss Blues Driver...but my brother prefers a Tube Screamer (by Ibanez). It's all about preference in sound.

But when you do decide to get your pedal board set up, you need to get your bread and butter pedals first. Your Overdrive/Distortion and your Delay/Reverb are the ones you need to make sure you buy first. For Country, you'll probably want an Overdrive vs a full blown distortion pedal (distortion is pretty much overdrive on steroids). So I'd check into some good simple Overdrive pedals (Boss has Overdrive by itself for $50 or you can get like a Blues Driver for $100. Blues Driver gives it more of a "blues rock" feel).

For Delay and Reverb, you gotta ask yourself "do I want digital or analog"? Since we live in the digital age, I personally don't mind the digital type sound. But for some people they prefer the analog. You need to try both styles out and see which you like best.

Then after you get your bread and butter down, you can add your fun pedals (Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, EQ, Compression, Harmonizer, Octave, Acoustic Simulators, etc). Each pedal will run you roughly a $100 or so.

And when putting together a board there's kind of a formula you need to go by. Make sure your EQ/Compression pedals are first, Overdrives/Distortions next, Chorus/Tremolo/Flanger/etc, then lastly on your board needs to be the Delays and Reverbs. If you mix the pedals it's gonna screw up the frequencies and you're going to get an absolute horrid sound.

But enough about the pedals. The mustang amp has presets on it for all the different effects as well, so you can customize your tone however you want. It's gonna be a fun trip for you (especially if you're writing). The possibilities are endless and you'll never get board. Especially with the "What the F@#k" preset. Play with it. It's seriously a lot of fun to mess around with (kind of a space sound, it's hard to describe).

I think you're gonna love the Mustang, especially once you get a chance to play through ALL the different settings. It's an awesome little amp (very powerful). And it'll make your Junior sing like a bird!

The footswitch is for changing between two settings on your amp.

Like mine is set to switch between the Vox AC 30 (clean) and the Fender Bassman Overdrive.

If I'm playing a clean piece on my AC 30 and I want to get an overdrive sound immediately without adjusting the amp, I just step on the pedal :) It's the same as buying a pedal for your pedal board, but they work with the amp presets.

I think you've got a good little rig you're setting up. Did your amp ever come in? How do you like it?

And as far as the pedal board goes, it's best to try them out first. While I love the BOSS line, some people hate it and prefer something different (like an analog pedal. Boss is all Digital). I'd try out plenty of different pedals before you settle on one, ya know? Like for my overdrive, I use the Boss Blues Driver...but my brother prefers a Tube Screamer (by Ibanez). It's all about preference in sound.

But when you do decide to get your pedal board set up, you need to get your bread and butter pedals first. Your Overdrive/Distortion and your Delay/Reverb are the ones you need to make sure you buy first. For Country, you'll probably want an Overdrive vs a full blown distortion pedal (distortion is pretty much overdrive on steroids). So I'd check into some good simple Overdrive pedals (Boss has Overdrive by itself for $50 or you can get like a Blues Driver for $100. Blues Driver gives it more of a "blues rock" feel).

For Delay and Reverb, you gotta ask yourself "do I want digital or analog"? Since we live in the digital age, I personally don't mind the digital type sound. But for some people they prefer the analog. You need to try both styles out and see which you like best.

Then after you get your bread and butter down, you can add your fun pedals (Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, EQ, Compression, Harmonizer, Octave, Acoustic Simulators, etc). Each pedal will run you roughly a $100 or so.

And when putting together a board there's kind of a formula you need to go by. Make sure your EQ/Compression pedals are first, Overdrives/Distortions next, Chorus/Tremolo/Flanger/etc, then lastly on your board needs to be the Delays and Reverbs. If you mix the pedals it's gonna screw up the frequencies and you're going to get an absolute horrid sound.

But enough about the pedals. The mustang amp has presets on it for all the different effects as well, so you can customize your tone however you want. It's gonna be a fun trip for you (especially if you're writing). The possibilities are endless and you'll never get board. Especially with the "What the F@#k" preset. Play with it. It's seriously a lot of fun to mess around with (kind of a space sound, it's hard to describe).

I think you're gonna love the Mustang, especially once you get a chance to play through ALL the different settings. It's an awesome little amp (very powerful). And it'll make your Junior sing like a bird!

Thanks for the info on footswitches.

Yeah I've already started a list of BOSS(gonna try & stick w/ that brand) pedals I wanna get(1 by 1 of course). Topping the list is the OS-2 & the Power Stack. A lot of the Country Rock(Jason Aldean type stuff) has a lot of distortion, so that's the sound I'm goin' for.

Yeah, my amp came Wed night. Been crazy 'round here last couple of days so all I've had time to do is unpack it & plug it in. Plannin' to spend some quality time w/ it & my Jr this weekend while watching football. Will keep an eye out for that "WTF" preset.

I have no doubt the amp can make my Jr sing, it's me I'm worried about haha.

Thanks for the info on footswitches.

Yeah I've already started a list of BOSS(gonna try & stick w/ that brand) pedals I wanna get(1 by 1 of course). Topping the list is the OS-2 & the Power Stack. A lot of the Country Rock(Jason Aldean type stuff) has a lot of distortion, so that's the sound I'm goin' for.

Yeah, my amp came Wed night. Been crazy 'round here last couple of days so all I've had time to do is unpack it & plug it in. Plannin' to spend some quality time w/ it & my Jr this weekend while watching football. Will keep an eye out for that "WTF" preset.

I have no doubt the amp can make my Jr sing, it's me I'm worried about haha.

No problem man. That's what we're here for. If yours didn't come with a footswitch, you can pick one up relatively cheaply through Fender's website or a music store...but if you're buying an overdrive pedal anyways there's no point (unless you want to plug it into a weird preset like the "WTF" one) haha.

The only thing I recommend is to not get a HEAVY distortion pedal. If you want a good Overdrive/Distortion, Boss makes one as a dual pedal. It has a specific switch that can turn it from an overdrive pedal into a full distortion pedal. The only real downside is it's very basic and limited on tone (since it's a double effect pedal). But it's not bad, and it's $100 I believe.

What's on your list so far?

Archived