Gibson Brands Forums

Baked Maple Boards, Yes or No?

MrNylon

I have only had mine for a month but so far I like it. Gibson basses have a reputation of being muddy but my Flying V sounds pretty crisp and I wonder if the harder wood on the fret board makes the difference. It all smells like syrup, mmmmmmmm. I have a Godin with rosewood and a Martin stinger with a traditional maple neck and the gibson tone is somewhere in the middle. The V is still my favorite bass.

I have only had mine for a month but so far I like it. Gibson basses have a reputation of being muddy but my Flying V sounds pretty crisp and I wonder if the harder wood on the fret board makes the difference. It all smells like syrup, mmmmmmmm. I have a Godin with rosewood and a Martin stinger with a traditional maple neck and the gibson tone is somewhere in the middle. The V is still my favorite bass.

I think Gibson stumbled on to something with the Baked Maple. I agree with you that the sound is very good. If and when they do go back to a solid Rosewood board, I'm staying with, and really liking the Baked Maple. The harder wood feels good pressing the Nylon strings down on it also. It's great, maple on a Gibson.

Archived