Gibson Brands Forums

1942 J-45N/J-50

zombywoof

Excellent :-) I learned from Gibson Techs, George Gruhn, and the Provide Website that about 1/2 of the July 1942 J45N had firestripe pickguards . . . just in case you were wondering as I noticed it looks like a Yamaha pickguard was installed on the beauty of yours :-)

If you go to the website for "Gibson Banner Registry" there are a couple pics of 1942 J45 naturals in excellent condition . . . a couple with fire stripe . . .

A Yamaha pickguard - now that would beat all. The pickguard that is on there though looks like it might be a good fit for my 1950s Epiphone (which needs a new pickguard) so it may find a future home on that guitar. The Registry shows only one '42 J-50 with a striped scratchplate. The others all have the tortise. It does look like they pop up later in 1942 but after that Gibson seems to have gone back and forth. I would love to see the Banner Book finished and available. I may still go with a striped guard though just because I like the way they look with the natural top.

A Yamaha pickguard - now that would beat all. The pickguard that is on there though looks like it might be a good fit for my 1950s Epiphone (which needs a new pickguard) so it may find a future home on that guitar. The Registry shows only one '42 J-50 with a striped scratchplate. The others all have the tortise. It does look like they pop up later in 1942 but after that Gibson seems to have gone back and forth. I would love to see the Banner Book finished and available. I may still go with a striped guard though just because I like the way they look with the natural top.

I talked to JT about the book a couple of weeks ago, and as I understand it, the book is now at the printer.

Can't wait for that one.

Archived