Gibson Brands Forums

Talk to Henry

Mike From Canada

Hi All,

I know this isn't a Gibson USA Les Paul issue, but I do own 3 Gibson USA Les Pauls and a Hummingbird.

It's been over a year, and I can't get cleared to post on the Henry forums. I've contacted Gibson several times, and they tell me there is no way to expedite the process. I think this is a pretty crappy way to treat a customer. Either shut the forum down, or run it properly.

Has anyone else be effectively "banned" from the Henry forums? Is this because I'm a left wing Canadian? Does Gibson have a file on me, like the FBI or CSIS might? What's in it? Is it because I talk about "when the revolution comes" sometimes? Have they bugged my home? Tapped my phone? Followed me to coffee shops to see who my associates are? Am I really that dangerous? What are they afraid I might say?

This makes me grumpy. Bad Gibson. Bad.

Mike

(Who supports high taxes and strong social programs, and it probably got him banned)

Mike...

I'm probably as a polar opposite politically from you as one might get - but I think you're carrying a political factor into a venue where there is little reflection on one's politics. Several customer service employees are regularly in the Gibson Lounge.

The special "talk to henry" version of the forum hasn't been maintained since, as I understand it, about the time the U.S. government took a batch of Gibson computers in their now-settled dispute with Gibson. So if you're being followed by the FBI or more frightening (for various legal and technical reasons) by U.S. wildlife/natural resources folks, it might be because they decided to investigate you. Gibson company has enough of a challenge to remain a leader in the guitar industry.

There are some difficulties, however, on customer service for persons outside the U.S.A.

As I understand it, Canadian warranty questions have to be handled differently from those in the U.S. for a number of reasons regarding international trade, regardless that we share a continent.

For what it's worth, when I ran a small magazine, you have no idea the difficulties I encountered in shipping or mailing to Canadians in Canada. Frankly, after concluding that it was costing roughly ten times the cost of production and mailing in the U.S., I just gave up and sent apologies to Canadian bulk dealers. Luckily I had sandbagged single copy subscriptions so it wasn't necessary to send refund checks.

That's the sort of thing one encounters in trade with Canada. I understand many of the "why" responses, but it simply was uneconomic for us. Gibson in this case, as I understand it, has contract(s) with a firm(s) in Canada who handle such questions.

Personally I think much of any barriers on our common border are silly and I have a lot of friends who own, operate and work land in both "nations." They think it's even more silly than I do.

m

Hi Milod,

The politics were 100% for the purpose of humour.

I completely agree with your experience at the border. It's terrible both ways. To send a used computer card back to the US to its owner, I had to fill out a form to be sent to homeland security - and it had to have the recipients driver's license number on it.

Ridiculous.

However, my question remains - if it's not because of politics or some sinister Gibson surveillance program (this is also for humour) why am I not allowed to post? There's no way that a web app could be affected by confiscated computers. If they don't want to have the forum, they should shut it down. They shouldn't just leave it half alive, pissing people off.

All the best,

Mike

Mike...

I agree they should just probably shut it down. Poor PR.

Even the mod apparently hadn't heard anything from the company as of a cupla weeks ago.

The "talk to henry" was designed to require more personal info and then acceptance onto the forum so it was more or less "semi-private" in that sense. But I doubt anyone has been processed into the forum since the government raid or perhaps even somewhat before.

m

Archived