Gibson Brands Forums

P-90 335s?

Flintc

Early this year I noticed GC selling what I believe are GC-exclusive ES-335s with "tapped" P-90 pickups. These are satin finish on neck, sides and back and glossy on top, and come in cherry or dark brown. I bought the brown variety, and I've been very happy with it -- but it doesn't sound like the traditional 335 either. As far as I can tell, the "taps" reduce the number of active windings, which are (I guess) supposed to make them sound like 50-year-old pickups that have lost their moxie, producing a more "vintage" sound. If so, it's subtle (except for being much lower output).

Has anyone else had any experience with one of these? Are they a limited production run?

Has anyone else had any experience with one of these? Are they a limited production run?

Yes, I have a red one with an ebony fretboard & '60s neck. Imho, P90s in a 335 are very nice. This version is an exclusive to Guitar Center and was released, I believe, around the first of the year. Along with the brown & red, there's also a sunburst version. Although the coil tap creates some additional options, the difference is not nearly as significant as tapping a humbucker down to a single coil. For anyone else who might be interested, GC still has a lot of these available in their nationwide inventory, which can be viewed at their website under "platinum guitars."

Archived