Gibson Brands Forums

Having difficulty identifying an archtop.

rrplays

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping that someone here can assist me with figuring out the model of this archtop. I have an appointment to meet with the seller and to see the guitar tomorrow, and he wasn't sure of the exact model either. All I know is that I think it's a beautiful guitar and would love to make it my first vintage Gibson if everything is legit.

Here are some photos:

gib1.jpg

gib2.jpg

(Seller no longer has the original case)

gib3.jpg

gib4.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

This headstock logo was only used for a few years, so it dates this guitar to the era of late '46 to mid-'48. The model number and serial number were originally handwritten on beige oblong paper label glued to the back under the bass side f-hole. These labels can come loose and get lost, and sometimes the ink used to write on them completely fades out. Serial numbers from this period are fully documented, so if the label is still there, and can be read, it should be possible to determine the mfg date of this guitar to within about a 6 month period.

The guitar pictured has lost it's pickguard, had the tuning machines changed, is resting in a non-original case.

Bob is correct, and Larry is correct.

That's a beautiful ES300. Tailpiece is absolutely right for that model. The missing pickguard is not all that big a deal (a replacement can be made), and you may also consider finding some period correct tuners.

The "tune-o-matic" bridge saddle is not original (the base may or may not be original). The bridge appears to be sitting a bit too low (too close to the volume control knob), but should be moveable.

Does it show signs of having a pickguard attached at one time?

If you look closely, you can see the screw hole for the bracket at the waist. I think I also see a hole in the side of the neck (near the 16th fret) where the upper portion of the guard was side-mounted.

Thanks everybody for all of your input!

Yeah, I was definitely bummed about the tuning machines. The pickguard I can do without, but the tuning machines were one of the first things that I noticed when I saw the guitar. I'm not sure if it ever did have the pickguard, but I imagine the body will show at least a little bit of wear/fading in person where the pickguard once was. Looks pretty clean in the photos though. The tailpiece was mentioned. (Edit: thanks Jim R56)

So with all of that being said, would you consider this a worthwhile purchase? I'm not going to be reselling the guitar, but I just want to have confidence that I'm getting what I'm paying for. Any suggestions of a price point I should aim to get it for?

Thanks again!

It could be a blessing that the pickguard is gone. Old tortoise-shell pickguards decompose over time, and release a gas that damages metal parts and can mar a finish. Perhaps that's why this guard is missing, but I see no evidence of the nasty gas. This guitar is in beautiful condition for its age. Really looks like it was well cared for.

It's certainly a worthwhile musical instrument. Whether it's a worthwhile purchase would of course depend on the price. In the current depressed market, you might be able to get a very good deal.

You can see some other examples offered by dealers here: http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&fy=1939&ly=1961&keyword=gibson+es+300

Several of these are the natural finish version, which bring a higher price. Elderly Instruments has a sunburst listed at $3,000, which seems pretty reasonable (non-original tailpiece on that one, though). If you're buying from a private party, I would think that somewhere in the $2500 area would be fair for this guitar right now. If you can get it for closer to $2000, I'd say it's a good deal on a nice old Gibson electric.

It could be a blessing that the pickguard is gone. Old tortoise-shell pickguards decompose over time, and release a gas that damages metal parts and can mar a finish. Perhaps that's why this guard is missing, but I see no evidence of the nasty gas. This guitar is in beautiful condition for its age. Really looks like it was well cared for.

It's certainly a worthwhile musical instrument. Whether it's a worthwhile purchase would of course depend on the price. In the current depressed market, you might be able to get a very good deal.

You can see some other examples offered by dealers here: http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&fy=1939&ly=1961&keyword=gibson+es+300

Several of these are the natural finish version, which bring a higher price. Elderly Instruments has a sunburst listed at $3,000, which seems pretty reasonable (non-original tailpiece on that one, though). If you're buying from a private party, I would think that somewhere in the $2500 area would be fair for this guitar right now. If you can get it for closer to $2000, I'd say it's a good deal on a nice old Gibson electric.

I'd say buy that guitar at a price you can afford.Those script logo Gibsons, with the crown on the headstock, are rare and I particularly like the fretboard inlays.....Very nice guitar...snap it up.

Archived