Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation or Truss Rod Adjustment?

brl

I'm looking for some advice. I just purchased an Epiphone Dot guitar (love it - very impressed by the quality!). The guitar seems to be pretty well setup except at the 12th fret every string is sharp, by almost the same amount on each string.

I assume the intonation needs adjusting, but I'm just wondering if the fact that all strings are sharp by about the same amount at the 12th fret means that truss rod should be adjusted.

I know I should just get it setup by a professional but the intonation is the only problem I've found so I'd like to see if I can deal with that myself.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

I'm looking for some advice. I just purchased an Epiphone Dot guitar (love it - very impressed by the quality!). The guitar seems to be pretty well setup except at the 12th fret every string is sharp, by almost the same amount on each string.

I assume the intonation needs adjusting, but I'm just wondering if the fact that all strings are sharp by about the same amount at the 12th fret means that truss rod should be adjusted.

I know I should just get it setup by a professional but the intonation is the only problem I've found so I'd like to see if I can deal with that myself.

Any advice appreciated - thanks.

You say, "I assume the intonation needs adjusting", but you don't say if you have done that. I would do this first.

Here is a site you can go to learn how if you don't already know how----> http://projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Doesn't sound like a TR problem. But look down the neck. Does it have a significant bow in it? If it's pretty straight you are OK.

That site I referred you to has all kinds of tips on Set-ups, including TR adjustment.

Welcome to the forum!!!! [thumbup]

Brad

You say, "I assume the intonation needs adjusting", but you don't say if you have done that. I would do this first.

Here is a site you can go to learn how if you don't already know how----> http://projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

Doesn't sound like a TR problem. But look down the neck. Does it have a significant bow in it? If it's pretty straight you are OK.

That site I referred you to has all kinds of tips on Set-ups, including TR adjustment.

Welcome to the forum!!!! [thumbup]

Brad

Great, thanks - I'll take a look at that site.

Rob

Archived