Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard

Senior

AllParts sells a line of repro pickguards. I put one of their L-5 Non-Cutaway multi-bound pickguards on my 1947 L-7, and was very impressed with the product. It was actually even thicker than the original Gibson, beautiful binding and polish job.

http://www.allparts.com/Bound-Black-L-5-Pickguard-p/pg-9815-023.htm

You would then have to make your own pickup cutouts, for the pickup location will vary slightly on the "handmade" guitars you list.

Not a closeup, but here's a pic of the L-7 installation.

5443652520_178567663f.jpg

I need a gibson pickguard for a 1975 L5, and a 1975 Birdland. The non Gibson pickguards for these guitars I had put on look real bad .

I just went through the whole process getting a new pickguard for my 1964 S-400 CES. Gibson Custom Shop adviced me that there are not parts for these guitars, they are made one at a time, and pickguards are ordered from a third party. They recommended Tony Dudzik, pickguardian.com, who makes pickguards for Gibson on a regular basis and may have a pattern for your guitar.

As you may guess, the pickguards for these guitars are no simple matter, the materials are rare, the process is very manual.

Hannu

Archived