Gibson Brands Forums

Japan 335?

acidguitar

Hi there, I'm new here, could anyone tell me if this guitar was made in Korea or Japan? has a 7 digits number on the neck plate starting 012...

could be a Korea December 1990 or a Japan 1970-74 thats what I think but who knows... LOL

Pictures would help. Often the number on the neck plate has nothing to do with the serial number or when and where the guitar was made.

It's worth what someone will pay you for it. I've seen them on (UK) eBay for £500.00 but whether they sold for that I couldn't say. There seem to be a lot of people who consider them "vintage" in the same way as a 60's Gibson, Fender or Epiphone, but really, they're just old. They were budget guitars in the 70's and time won't have improved them. I once owned one myself. I won't say it was the worst guitar I ever owned but it was definitely one of the top three. They are nowhere near the quality of even todays Chinese reissues. Put it on eBay with a reserve of £250.00 (or whatever), call it a 'rare, sought after 70's vintage Epiphone made by Matsumoku in Japan' and see if anyone bites.

Thanks mate but I dont own the guitar yet, some friend has this one and he would sell it for about 160 to me, I though was a good price, but if I can can get something better... my budget is £250, not much for a decent 335, tele thinline or similar.

I saw a Columbus 335 from the 70s japan as well, looks really nice and similar to this one, maybe the same guitar... but for 350

Thanks mate but I dont own the guitar yet, some friend has this one and he would sell it for about 160 to me, I though was a good price, but if I can can get something better... my budget is £250, not much for a decent 335, tele thinline or similar.

I saw a Columbus 335 from the 70s japan as well, looks really nice and similar to this one, maybe the same guitar... but for 350

The Columbus is the same guitar and from the same period and factory. It was another low budget guitar.

I can't help with a low cost 335 type guitar (not £160.00 anyway) but if you're considering a Tele Thinline have a look here Richwood

That one is in surf green for £159.99 but look in Dangleberry Music's eBay shop and they do them in other colours and with the option of P90's if you want something other than a standard Thinline. A friends son got one for last Christmas and I was amazed at how good it was. If I didn't already have two Fender Tele's I'd buy one myself. Still might, that surf green is very tempting for me.

Well, it was just a suggestion based on something I'd tried. Most guitars now are from China, including many of the Epiphones and Fender Squiers. That Epi Wilshire in my avatar was made in Indonesia, but it's at least as well put together as the Mexican Fender Strat I own, it was way better set up and it was half the price. Chinese guitars have come a long way in the last ten years, just like the Japanese ones did between 1970 and 1980. My '83 Japanese made Riviera would be irreplacable.

Honestly, I'd say the difference between the EA250 from the 70's and a current Epi Dot is like the difference between a Skoda and a BMW. A new Dot can be had for around £280 so S/H would be around £200 or so. Sorry about misreading your budget by the way, I saw the £160 you were being offered the guitar for and missed the £250.

Good luck with your search.

Archived