Gibson Brands Forums

help me find the year and model of my vinatge guitar

Saint777

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. My grandfather left a vintage Gibson acoustic guitar which he use to play when he was young. And i would love to pass it down to my grandson one day. I wanted to know more about this guitar, Age, model, where it was made. There is a stamp on the top of the head stock which reads 1314, also Gibson is written in italic. If any one can help me i would appreciate. I attached few picture if it will help

thanks

Vic

post-47739-075693200 1349558568_thumb.jpg

post-47739-019411100 1349558640_thumb.jpg

post-47739-008047400 1349558651_thumb.jpg

This is a tenor guitar (4 strings as opposed to 6), unfortunately not in a lot of demand these days since very few people play a tenor any more. Based on a Gibson L series body, made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, probably in the early to mid 1930's (sorry, can't give you an exact year), has a fairly thin neck. Rare, but as I mentioned, not in a whole lot of demand these days.

Dennis

Welcome, Vic. I agree with most of Dennis' comments. Not sure what to make of that number, but the headstock logo looks like 1930's (probably '32 or later). You might look inside the body (inside the back, and up near the internal neck block) for other numbers. The model might be a TG-00 (with "TG" for "tenor guitar"). They also made a 4-string "plectrum" guitar ("PG-00", for example), which had a longer scale length (26 1/4", as opposed to 23" for the TG).

Your guitar may not be all that desirable or valuable, but I still think it's cool, and should be treasured and cared for. Doesn't matter if it's not valuable, since you're passing it on in the family. [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...

It's a Gibson TG-00 (tenor guitar style 00). Made in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

The black finish and 12 fret neck make it pretty early, 1930-31 I think. It's a rare guitar. There is still a market for quality tenor guitars like this one: mandolin players, uke players, tenor players, vintage collectors, and someone looking for a "travel" vintage guitar that doesn't cost a ton of money. They are nowhere near as popular as a 6 string guitar but they do have their place.

Yours will need some work to at least close up those cracks. It may also need some fretwork and a neck set. It's not the sort of thing you would take down to your local shop and have done. If you plan on having it fixed, ask for some advice or send me a message. Some "repairmen" will do more damage than repair on an old guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike other commentors, I would love to have a tenor. It is on the top of my GAS list. Yours looks like it needs work but I'm sure as it is with most repairs, it will be a great sounding and playing Gibson tenor.

Never said I wouldn't like to have one, just that there's not a whole lot of demand for these. Still, if it were for sale I would go for it in a heartbeat. :-({|= :-({|=

Archived