Gibson Brands Forums

Similar to the Zakk Wylde?

Albodoin

Hello people this is my first post here!

I would like to know if any of you have an idea if there is a similar product to the Epi Zakk Wylde but without the weight? It's almost 12 pounds and after jamming a couple of hours it starting to be heavy.

Other than that the sound is incredible and I really like the maple neck with the jumbo frets.

I was looking for a Gibson Studio but I am not sure if it'll be enough for hard rock/metal.

Any idea?

12 pounds seems completely stupid to me.

I'd say that's probably the only one or one of very few with that much weight. Try some of the new series of Prophecy LPs, or you can get a cheaper LP and some EMGs.

If you can afford a Gibson LP Studio Deluxe it would be a great option. It is not "chambered" like the regular LP Studio, but it's what they call "modern weight relief" which is quite different. It has the jumbo frets and a 50's style chunky neck on it. May have to upgrade the pups for metal however...

I do have a Silvertone LP body style with Zakk's EMG's in it and that thing melts faces! Good luck to ya!

• 8 months later...

The weight of wood varies due to grain, density, mineral content, water content, etc. Back in the day, Ted McCarty said the same-sized piece of mahogany could be anywhere from 5 lbs to 25 lbs depending on mineral content. 12 lbs is very unusual for any LP. My Epi LP's run 7 to 10 lbs.

Archived