Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a good ES-335 copy

heymisterk

Looks like things turned out OK in the end [thumbup]

Epi Dots and Sherry's are excellent VFM IMO... [thumbup]

Access for wiring upgrades etc is difficult on a typical semi...and expect a bigger bill from a tech...

My lovely black Korean Epi Sherry required a jack socket upgrade

Wood construction...stability etc has proved to be excellent over several years...

Enjoy...!!... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

For what it's worth, over the years I've had some guitars that crackled with one cord to the amp and not with others. It might be worth a flashlight check. I used to have a light designed for checking rifle bores that I also used a cupla times on guitars - a little curved plastic thingie kept the majority of the flashlight out of your way so you could see down the bore. I'd wager there's either dirt, corrosion, a bit bent out of shape connection or a loose connection on the jack itself.

But that's at best an educated guess. Regardless, a new high quality jack installation will cost a lot more on the install than the hardware, but ain't a bad idea.

Nice guitar, though, regardless.

Epi claimed a cupla years ago that they did a major upgrade in the hardware from the pups to the jack. I dunno. I do know that I've seen plenty of new guitars with the jack scratch sound over the years - and several of mine developed it, but a very slightly different cord plug seemed to have solved the problem. I just quit carrying the buzzy cord with a given guitar. And yes, I do have a cord in each guitar case as well as one or two in the back of the amp...

m

Hi All,

I am in the market for a used semi-hollow in the style of a ES-335. Unfortunately, my current finances prevent me from buying The Real Thing.

What would you all recommend as a decent import version? I have heard mixed reviews about the Chinese-made Epiphones. I have browsed at a couple of the Guild copies, as well as a cool-looking import version of the Hamer Newport.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jeff

Shopping for a Sheraton II, I came across Hagstrom. The Hagstrom Viking I ended up buying a few months ago has been great...especially for the price ($600, sells for $780, lists for $1100). My research showed that those familiar with comparable Epi or Ibanez much preferred the Viking overall. It received great reviews from all over the internet. I couldn't find anyone with anything particularly bad to say about this guitar or company. In fact, I have a Swede SE w/p90s coming on Tuesday. http://www.hagstromg...tegory&Itemid=6

Nice color!

The few ES-types I worked on, the access was through the bridge pup hole.

They are definitely not the easiest to use to experiement and change stuff on, but it isn't nearly bad enough to the point of being super-costly having someone with practice do it.

It's usually best to do an all-or-nothing deal, in that you pretty much have to take everything out to work on them. PUPS replacement too requires you take the whole harness.

With a jack, usually the only thing that causes them to go bad is they become loose. They are made by stacking the peices together and doing a sort of rivit-like fastening. When it becomes worn, the pieces make intermitten contact.

Archived