Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Maker 2007 Reissue

clarkuss

Hello guys,

Don't normally post on the Gibson parts of these boards as my only Gibson has been a Fuller's 1962 spec J-160e and I'm already on lots of Beatles related forums.

I just got a 2007 Reissue 1959 style Melody Maker, single pup in sunburst. The Gibson website states that this has a 3/4 scale fretboard but to me it certainly looks and feels full scale. It feels no smaller than playing my Epiphone Riviera and is nowhere near as small as my Rickenbacker 325s

Any answer to this?

Cheers,

Clark

Hello guys,

Don't normally post on the Gibson parts of these boards as my only Gibson has been a Fuller's 1962 spec J-160e and I'm already on lots of Beatles related forums.

I just got a 2007 Reissue 1959 style Melody Maker, single pup in sunburst. The Gibson website states that this has a 3/4 scale fretboard but to me it certainly looks and feels full scale. It feels no smaller than playing my Epiphone Riviera and is nowhere near as small as my Rickenbacker 325s

Any answer to this?

Cheers,

Clark

The Melody Maker (the reissues) only come in the standard 24-3/4" scale length. You might have misread the 24-3/4" as 3/4 scale. The original Melody Makers (59 and early 60's) were available in 3/4 sizes, but not anymore.

-Ryan

Yeah I wanted one about 5 years ago and didn't pull the trigger on some very well priced 60s ones for one reason or another and then this week I had the impulse to get one and there was one on ebay for less than £300. I'm enjoying the simplicity of a light body combined with a single pick up. Now I've got the Reissue, no doubt an original 60s model will be in the pipeline shortly.

The guitarist of one of my favourite bands plays one a lot: Carl Barat from The Libertines. I'm on the look out for the 3/4 scale next I think because playing a 325 most weekends, I'm loving short scale guitars these days.

The reissues really don't do the original 60's ones justice. Completely different pickup design, a unique neck profile, and the finish in the reissues is just...bleh. The one I'm holding in my profile pic is my 1964 double pickup MM. Cost me $1200, but it's mainly because a double pickup, doublecut Melody Maker in Sunburst was rare in '64 (they changed to cherry in '63). I've since swapped out a few things (put a P90 in the bridge position with a new pickguard, TonePros adjustable wraparound bridge, new tuners). My favorite part of it has to be the neck profile though. 0.74" at the 1st fret and a hefty 1.00" at the 12th fret.

Not to mention they weigh practically nothing. Mine comes in at just barely 7 pounds.

-Ryan

I once played a 60s one in a local guitar shop and the RI definitely doesn't have the feel, sound or mojo of the originals but it's given me a start and something new to play with. Impulse buys are great. In the UK you can find them for pretty cheap too so I've got an ebay search saved. The 60s sunbursts look great and I'm already GASing to get my hands on one. If I can find one for £600-700 I'd probably buy it and sell my reissue but until I do I'll be giving this one a good going over. I hate heavy guitars so it's perfect for me right now.

Any pics of your MM as it is now?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived