Gibson Brands Forums

EPI. Limited-Edition Riviera Custom P93

sparky349

Back in the day when I was young dumb & full of (well you know) I had 2 identical red Gibson ES 335's a 6 string & a 12 string (lets say they were both made around 1963) & I had an idea in my head that I wanted to put the 2 together and have a ES 335 double neck,(ala Jimmy Page but better) great idea right, (wrong) found out it couldn't be done, to make a long story short sold the 6 string due to financial woes & traded the 12 string straight up for a PRS CE 24 with trem. and it always bothered me not having a ES 335 that I very much liked, so when the Limited Edition Riviera Custom P93 came out I was intrigued, at the time none of the local stores had any hanging on the wall and was unable to get hands on to check it out, so I made a leap of faith & bought it(the price was right) with custom case from musicians friend catalog hoping for the best, I was not disappointed I bought the wine red with gold hardware, it plays great, stays in tune & I love that semi hollow body growel, dealing with the 3 P90 takes a little getting used to, in my personal opinion & having had 2 Gibsons ES 335's in the past this is a great guitar, best bang for your buck, I know it doesn't have the prestiges Gibson brand on it, but oh well my pockets ain't that deep & I can live with it.

Well, the Riviera is definitely red, but I think the Sheraton is a better poor man's replacement for an ES 335. I had a sunburst 335 in the mid-60's (cost me $349 with a hardshell case). I sold it to get an SG bass, but didn't like playing bass, so I sold it to buy a Martin hollowbody. I have seller's remorse even to this day.

I'm not overly keen on the look of the red one but that new gold top one and the royale look pretty awesome

Well Animus like I said had 2 reds in the past & at the time of distribution I think red was the only color going on, as of now there's a broader variety of colors to choose from, I'd still go with the red if I had to choose today, it must be the Polish & Italian in me, I like red things.

I enjoy playing the one I have. I added a roller bridge.

roller.jpg

Crust that's a nice picture, except on my Git I didn't install the large E sticker on the pickguard it was loose coming from the factory, have you noticed any looseness in the volume or tone pods, like over rotation

Crust that's a nice picture, except on my Git I didn't install the large E sticker on the pickguard it was loose coming from the factory, have you noticed any looseness in the volume or tone pods, like over rotation

Nothing wrong at all with the volume and tone variable resistors. Make sure the nut that holds the output jack is tight and use a 90 degree plug into the output jack plug connector so you don't "torque out" the jack on the guitar using a straight plug.

Nothing wrong at all with the volume and tone variable resistors. Make sure the nut that holds the output jack is tight and use a 90 degree plug into the output jack plug connector so you don't "torque out" the jack on the guitar using a straight plug.

OKEDOKE

Archived