Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L48 and left handed

Generoso

Hi to all, I'm Italian and I'd be close to buying a Gibson's 1969 L48.

I am left handed but I guess I should change the nut, setup the bridge and re strung.

The pickguard is not a problem usually I remove it from my previous guitars. [biggrin]

The guitar appears to be symmetrical so I guess I shouldn't have problems.

Can I might have problems being left handed with this guitar ?

Thanks for the support.

You should have no problem switching an old L-48 to a lefty. As you say, nut and bridge and you're ready to go.

If you wanted to have a lefty pickguard made, the remounting would also be very easy. The pickguard on an archtop is actually a "finger rest", and depending on your playing style, you may want one. Without it, the strings will be about one inch off the body, so there is really no place to rest your right hand.

All Gibson Truss rod nuts adjust with a 5/16" socket wrench type tool.

And see stewmac.com for the best configuration of the TR wrench. It needs to be a thin-wall socket on a long handle, like a long screwdriver with a socket on the end of it. Adjusting with another type of tool, like an open-end wrench, may damage the truss rod nut recess.

There the image of the guitar

Sorry wrong image removed !!!

The correct image on the next post.

I would like to please your assessment on guitar, keeping in mind that the seller assures me that play very well, and the neck is very stright.

Thanks to all

The guitar shown in these photos does not appear to be a 1969 L-48. The headstock shape, logo, and French heel on the neck are much earlier than 1969. It appears to be a pre-war, probably late 1930's, Gibson archtop. I can't be sure of the model, but it is not one of the fancier ones. A quick check of my resources does not give me a definitive answer,

These do not bring a lot of money in the US, but the actual value will be determined by the condition and playability. It obviously has a fair number of top cracks. If they are stable, they are probably not a problem.

Unfortunately, I am traveling on business for the next few days, and cannot do any research.

Gibson archtops of this general type and vintage, in good condition, might sell for $1000-$1500 in the US, but that is a wild guess without knowing the condition and actual model.

The neck heel appears to be pulling away from the body, so the guitar's structural integrity may be compromised.

Also, the number on the back of the headstock is not original.

which picture shows this flaw ?

which picture shows this flaw ?

The next to last picture on the right, which is a closeup of the heel. There appears to be a gap between the neck heel and the body. It might be fine, but can't tell for sure without the guitar in hand.

I bought a Gibson L-48 on ebay.

It is shipping from a seller in the USA.

I have left handed and I must change the nut, know some link where buy pre build nut of exact measure ?

It have to be Width: 1 11/16 in. (42.9 mm) but also height and deep are requests.

Thanks

I bought a Gibson L-48 on ebay.

It is shipping from a seller in the USA.

I have left handed and I must change the nut, know some link where buy pre build nut of exact measure ?

It have to be Width: 1 11/16 in. (42.9 mm) but also height and deep are requests.

Thanks

Generally, you buy nuts as "blanks", not cut for the strings, and not necessarily the exactly width, radius, or height. In the US, the can buy blank nuts in a variety of materials from people like Bob Colosi (guitarsaddles.com), who specialize in nuts, saddles, and pins. Any good luthier can then fit them to your guitar. With the L-48, the more tricky problem may be the new saddle, which needs to be specially carved for you as a lefty.

Generally, you buy nuts as "blanks", not cut for the strings, and not necessarily the exactly width, radius, or height. In the US, the can buy blank nuts in a variety of materials from people like Bob Colosi (guitarsaddles.com), who specialize in nuts, saddles, and pins. Any good luthier can then fit them to your guitar. With the L-48, the more tricky problem may be the new saddle, which needs to be specially carved for you as a lefty.

I was hoping to be able to do so, but I will go to the luthier for a better job, it would really be a shame to spoil my dream guitar.

I have always loved a real old Gibson Archtop.

When the guitar arrive to me in Italy I'll post photos. Now these are the photos of auction:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I have a doubt on the strings, I am familiar with the Daddario EXP flat 12-52 ECG25 Chromes Flat Wound, Light, 12-52 but I don't think being mentioned on an acoustic archtop, then I thought that they could get any better the EFT16 Flat Tops, Light, 12-53

Advice about it ?

Thanks.

Archived