Gibson Brands Forums

Semi-hollow bodies with 25.5 scale length

merkaba22

I am fortunate enough to have a a couple of SG-90's -- SG's with a two octave ebony board and 25.5" scale length.

I wonder if there are examples of say a 335/45/55 or similar (with center blocks) that were once or currently offered with the preferred 25.5 scale length?

So far, there is only the Chet Atkins/Tennesean models that I can find.

Dunno about Gibson versions, but it appears that the shorter "gibson" scale is pretty much standard for such sorts of guitar, although there are and have been other brands with the longer scale. And... some have had shorter scale, too.

You say "the preferred" length... Preferred?

m

I've grown to like the 25.5 scale better. Especially when playing high notes.

For me switching from my short scale Gibsons to my longer scale Parker is a problem when reading music and cannot occasionally glance at the fretboard without losing my place in the music. I suppose as I gain more experience at sight-reading music on the guitar it won't matter anymore. It isn't a big problem, but sometimes I over-reach on the Gibson now that I'm playing the Parker more.

BTW, I love the looks of the Johnny A - just not the price. But Christmas is coming (hint - hint - hint). ;)

Archived