Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Customisation

Septic

post-48575-086135600 1352662942_thumb.jpg

Please ignore the terrible quality of the photo which makes them look like theyve been scratched to bits, but the light was aweful and I used my phone to take it...

Seeing as pups tend to be the one part of any guitar that never look that different, I decided that a little etching/engraving was in order.... just for that "personal" touch.

They are Bare Knuckle "Painkillers" which means pure nickel-silver covers, but they took the images really well... even if my apalling photography doesn't show it!!!!

They have been used.... Even if it was only briefly until I decided after hearing them that they looked too "ordinary" and because I set them a little lower than normal to offset "string pull" they did have some really useable "warmth" when dialled back, a really good, broad "vocal" character through the "clean" channel and still went right through tight crunch to full blown, raw power when the wick was turned up.

I can honestly say that in my LP at least they have the broadest tonal range of any ceramic I've ever played along with the kind of raw power that I'd normally associate with "active" circuitry.... And they still produce pure, almost silky, screaming harmonics that could cut through concrete at thirty paces!!!!

In two words... ******* AWESOME!!!! and I'd recommend them to anyone who wants both articulation AND power and they've saved me the bother of having more than one guitar to play the variety of musical styles I enjoy.

I don't usually rave about components because there's usually a fairly high price to be paid when you go for something that's aimed at a certain niche in the market, but in this case the gains outweigh the losses by miles and you don't see that very often in a pickup.... Just my opinion though...

Archived