Gibson Brands Forums

Open Mic (love it or hate it)

Sgt.

Did my usual open mic last night...

It was a total trip... [thumbup]

In the course of 3 hours or so we were treated to solo, duo, trio etc musics from male and female artists aged from 17 to 65...

Covers from Who, Hendrix, Beatles, Cash, Young, Stills, Free, Holly...

Self penned try outs

Confident and nervous artists...all welcome...

Big screen football in a side room for those inclined

[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I been to good ones and bad ones. I can assure you, (firsthand knowledge), the good ones were paying the host bands as they would any band.

What I would call a "bad" one, the audience is mostly or entirely those there to play. They sit patiently waiting their turn, but don't really care about the music the others are playing. A lot of the time, it is a group of poeple together that know a few songs and can only play together, or maybe need a drummer or bass player to play with them. Sinse they have showed up and put thier names on the list, there is an obligation to let them play. But, no other qualifications that they would do a good or bad job.

With this type of "show", it's just one bad performance followed by the next, and isn't drawing customers except those that get to play. It may even be driving those NOT there to play to leave.

With a "good" one, the host band is paying attention to the QUALITY of music being played each set. They are also qualifying the ones who want to play, based on what they know and what they can pull off for a performance, and putting better musicians up with lesser musicians. Making sure that there are some there to back up the songs when someone doesn't quite have it. The lesser musicians have a higher standard to aspire to, and they might actually learn something playing with better poeple. And if they choke, it doesn't have to ruin it for the audience. Everyone learns, everyone benifits.

I said all that for this: There isn't much work or skill or effort required to "put someone on the list" and let them play. In fact, you don't even need a band for that. Maybe the "host" band is just there to make sure there is music in case no one shows up and wants to play. If it's really nothing more than a bunch of half-bands or groups that play in the garage sometimes, well, you get what you pay for.

If it's truly a "jam", and good musicians are showing up and making good performances, it's likely the result of effort and work on someone's part to make it happen. Showing up on time and making sure the music is good all night long can be just as much work as playing. A jam that's worth showing up to JUST TO HEAR THE MUSIC is a cool thing for everyone. I don't think a participant need get paid or consider it "playing for free" because it's a priveledge to be there on the heels of SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK. But, if SOMEONE ain't being paid, likely this is NOT the case it's worth being there.

Here is my opinion on Open Mics.

It provides a chance for those who haven't been playing as long to get experience. If it's good or not, doesn't really matter.

I have only played a couple, and they get better every time. Are they great? No of course not but its the chance and experience that matters.

It's kind of like applying for a job. You have to have some sort of background to get hired right? Well having some basic preforming background can help form a band.

Guys who play in bands already, probably won't see the value in basic open mics because they are generally better and have the experience.

Here is my opinion on Open Mics.

It provides a chance for those who haven't been playing as long to get experience. If it's good or not, doesn't really matter.

I have only played a couple, and they get better every time. Are they great? No of course not but its the chance and experience that matters.

It's kind of like applying for a job. You have to have some sort of background to get hired right? Well having some basic preforming background can help form a band.

Guys who play in bands already, probably won't see the value in basic open mics because they are generally better and have the experience.

There's always guys that love the sound of the noise that an electric guitar and amplifier make. I mean guys that can't understand what MUSIC is! And other guys who can afford a real expensive instrument and can't play a lick. I kind of like the guys that can shine the **** out of a cheap instrument with skill. I am soooo sick of every new kid with an acoustic guitar hosting an 'open mic'!

Archived