Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EM-2 FX Floyd Rose

Capital SG

So I've had this guitar for many years and just today I realized something very interesting. I noticed on the day I got the guitar that there was no cut-out in the body for the floyd rose; unlike most floyds which are recessed and can be pulled backward, this one just sat atop the body. But today I noticed that in all of the promo pictures for the guitar, it has a traditional recessed floyd! Needless to say I was surprised. I'm wondering, is every EM-2 like this and perhaps the promo pics were shot early in development, or is something afoot with mine?

post-1061-068562500 1352756413_thumb.jpg

post-1061-098975900 1352756583_thumb.jpg

I used to have a fairly strong interest in these, and I played quite a few.

Some Floyd's were recessed, and others were not. I personally prefer a non recessed Floyd, much easier to maintain.

Some also had Grover mini tuners, and others had unbranded ones.

There wasn't a great deal of consistency in how that particular model was made, IMO.

Quick edit: I do remember most of them being recessed, however.

I haven't noticed anything greatly similar on other models, and I haven't seen a new one of these in several months.

It could have been different factories, an error at some point, or a hundred other things. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

As long as it plays and sounds good, and does what you want it to, then that's all that really matters.

And by the way, I think you're the only person on the forum with an EM at the moment (mine is in pieces, waiting to be restored).

Really that's pretty cool I didn't know they were that uncommon. I was wondering about the bridge mostly in terms of value, like if the guitar is rarer because most are different. I don't plan on selling it but I can't help but be curious ya know. Also I've been unable to confirm what the body is made of; gibsons website doesn't list the specs and I've seen some sites say it's basswood and others poplar

I remember the specs being Poplar, and I wouldn't say it affects the value, unless a buyer in question wants a recessed floyd, he might be a little less interested in yours, but for people like me, it would be a bonus, since I don't like the full floating floyds.

It effects interest, much more than value.

And I guess they're uncommon because it's not the kind of guitar most people look to Epi for. Mine is an '07 EM-1

I've seen pics of those they're pretty nice. And yea I'd imagine most epi fans wouldn't be so interested in such a metal style guitar. I was interested in it cuz at the time I was just transitioning into liking metal from a straight up blues-hard rock guy, and I swore by the Gibson/Epiphone brand. Lol it was a bit silly if you ask me, I mean I love the EM-2 but my ESP does a much better job of being a metal guitar, although I do applaud Epiphone for reaching new horizons

• 6 months later...

Archived