Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Brazilian

Lefty Guy

I don't want to start a political argument, but isn't Brazilian rosewood a CITES-protected commodity covered by the infamous Lacey Act? If so, how come luthiers are still using it? Is it pre-CITES materal that is usable, or what?

edit: After asking the question, I did a quick search, and found the following description on Wikipedia:

My link

I don't want to start a political argument, but isn't Brazilian rosewood a CITES-protected commodity covered by the infamous Lacey Act? If so, how come luthiers are still using it? Is it pre-CITES materal that is usable, or what?

edit: After asking the question, I did a quick search, and found the following description on Wikipedia:

My link

It's a customs/borders nightmare.. my guess is trying to move freely armed with it would change the tone of my mood and not for the better.

When I was shopping around for mine in 2009 ...Huss & Dalton were using pretty much only stump wood...was an extra $3k retail back then.

But they told me that government over there was soon going to stop the guy who was doing it for some bulls#@t reason (even though it was clearing the land)

Lowden on the other hand was using reclaimed wood from church pews ect for his guitars.

Thats what I went for & got the H&D later.

Old stuff is certifiable & the stumps were ok as well at the time.

I get the impression that in some other countries luthiers may not have as much trouble getting it ,like this guy advertizing who made this.Guitar sounds nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BszcoosnM

Old stuff is certifiable & the stumps were ok as well at the time.

I get the impression that in some other countries luthiers may not have as much trouble getting it ,like this guy advertizing who made this.Guitar sounds nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7BszcoosnM

Somehow, the stuff being used today lacks the more subtle visual charm of the Brazilian you see in old Martins, IMHO.

Archived