Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 String Gauge

manbit

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but I've been browsing for a little while.

I recently got a new Epiphone EJ-200 acoustic and am liking what I hear from it. Anyways, I have Rotomatic yellow 10s on it now and am wondering if I can go to 11s or even 12s on it without it being detrimental to the guitar? I am planning on getting the nut/bridge replaced with bone anyways, as I realize that this would probably be necessary. And possibly a truss rod adjustment too? I plan on taking this into a local shop to have it setup professionally. I just don't want to put on these larger gauge strings and a year down the line see the neck crack or the body bowed. Thanks for the help, look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, this is the first acoustic I've ever bought, so I wasn't sure. I have a 70s Alvarez jumbo I inherited from my mother, but I've kept mediums on it. Although I had also read that medium gauge acoustic strings used to be 13s and that they are no longer? The 10s are far too spaghetti-like for me, as I play mostly chordal picking/strumming. Anyways, thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Archived