Gibson Brands Forums

ground for 5 way selector switch

spooki

Hello: Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. The 5 way selector switch went south on my Epi Nighthawk. I replaced it with a Dimazio switch and used the SD wiring diagram per application. The original was grounded and the SD wiring diagram showed no ground being used. Since I could not get solder to stick to the frame of the switch. I did without a ground wire. Everything works as should and I am not seeing any problems. Is there something I need to know that I'm not getting or missing?

The rest of this post is just to share with other possible Nighthawk lovers. I'm no pro by far, but I love this guitar. I have since ownership. Replaced the stock saddles with Callaham's, changed the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB, and had a professional setup done with a Graph Tech TUSQ nut. I'm not a tone freak due to ear problems. But if you are looking to up-grade your Nighthawk. You can't go wrong with the saddles and a pro setup. Since the nut was replaced at the time of the setup, I can give no info on improvement. But why the heck not since your already there. The JB pick-up??? I'm happy over the stock one. But that is a choice of your ears only, and the fight goes on and on. [tongue] Other than the replacement of factory knobs with the chrome knurled ones, ( a must in my book ) I'm very happy with the remaining parts.

Last question if I may. I just bought a S101 Tele copy as second guitar. Love the neck and it fits me great. It also was set up and purchased from the same guy that did my Nighthawk. The neck pickup is way dull or maybe just muddy. Any idea's? It's great on the bridge, okay with both, but sounds like I'm playing through a pillow on the neck only. Thanks again all, and looking forward too some input. Play till your back hurts........... then give it ten.

I've re-wired quite a number of Strats that use a 5 way.

No ground wire is ever used on those.

Thanks Gordy, The ground wire really made no sense to me but thought I'd ask around. A buddy of mine has his Asian Strat copy torn apart and I took a peek at it. It also was grounded. I guess they just do it that way. I'm still looking for some hints or ideas for a neck pickup on my tele copy. I've never had one or played one before now, and I am learning that is the nature of the tele. Twangy bridge and a mellow neck. But I just feel the neck pickup is just toooo mellow.

Thanks again for your input.

Just a second thought on this topic.

Most of the Strats used a "Ground Shield" of aluminum tape on the bottom side of the pickguard.

You may want to put some on yours if it doesn't have it currently. It actually makes sense to tape the whole pickguard, and then re-install your switch on top the tape.

Just a second thought on this topic.

Most of the Strats used a "Ground Shield" of aluminum tape on the bottom side of the pickguard.

You may want to put some on yours if it doesn't have it currently. It actually makes sense to tape the whole pickguard, and then re-install your switch on top the tape.

I myself don't think that would serve much purpose in the Epi Nighthawk. No pick-guard at all and the switch is located in the cavity with the volume and tone pots.

It might make sense to install a ground wire then.

Thanks Gordy for all your input. But like I said, everything works fine without it, and I really didn't see a reason for it to begin with. I was just asking around for the education purpose of it. Since it was a cheap straight inline switch with all the posts in a row. I went to the SD site for the wiring diagram using a switch with 4 posts per side. It showed no ground being used on the switch. Since all is well without the ground. I think I'll just let it be.

I kinda thought I might get a buzz or hum when touching the switch without the ground, but it's fine. Thanks again..

Archived