Gibson Brands Forums

Old style P90 covers??

Hello everyone

I have a question regarding early p90 pickups. Does anyone know of a company that produces p90 pickup covers that are the same as the ones gibson were making up until 1952? The earlier p90s were much more rounded looking than what Gibson produce now days. Also, specifically, the p90s up until 1952 were 1 1/2 inches wide, as opposed to the later ones which became marginally wider (1 5/8 inches). I need to get my hands on some covers that match those pre '52 specs. What suggestions do you experts out there have?

Kind regards

Jordan

Hey Jordan, I checked out the difference in P90 covers last night. I have been repairing a '55 Les Paul jr. I compared the cover on it with my '53 ES-125. Quite a striking difference!

The '53 is slightly lower profiled and actually beveled slightly (thinner toward the neck). I had never paid it much attention.

What model guitar will these covers be used on?

Rod

These will be going on an L5, so yes, with a guitar like that its worth getting right. I used to have an es 130 with the same kind of dog ear cover, thinner at the front. The over all height being in between that of a shallow p90 and regular tall one. Gibson don't make them any more. I was looking at Duncan Antiquities, they seem to have the right dimensions, and the lip running around the perimeter of the base. They have a raised square on each dog ear but I think that can be taken down easily. I examined an Alnico V that I have with the same raised square there's plenty of material underneath to sand down to.

8303_Seymour_Duncan_Antiquity_P90_Dog_Ear_Bridge_Black_11034-66_a.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to try these out today and unfortunately the pole piece spacing is different than on my existing (Seymour Duncan Antiquity) pickup.

Rats.

The covers look good though. If I didn't already have a pickup that I really really like in the guitar I'd just buy one of the Lindy Fralin P-90s that would fit.

Just posting this so the next person along this path will have the info.

Archived