Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2012 SE Tremonti Custom

CoreyT

I have a serious case of GAS.

That could stand for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, or Gear Acquisition Syndrome :D

I saw posted on two PRS forums I use a new SE Tremonti coming out that was bound for the UK only, but it turns out the black/gray color only is being offered here in the US too.

It was so new it is not even up on PRS's products page when I ordered it, but a few weeks or so ago they put it up.

SE Mark Tremonti Custom

The other SE Tremonti that is currently up on the PRS site has a standard tailpiece, and the Custom one I have has the tremolo on it like the USA built Tremonti guitar.

The Custom one also has the hotter 245 pickups on it instead of the ones currently offered on the regular SE Tremonti.

The new custom also has the neck on it like my SE Custom 24, a wide/thin pattern which is very similar to the mid 60s neck of my 2012 Gibson '61 Reissue SG.

The regular SE Tremonti has the wide/fat neck like my sons SE Custom Semi-Hollow and my SE Santana.

The wide/fat neck is great, I love it, but I prefer the wide/thin neck a little more.

There are two UK sites up now with info on this guitar, and one site is calling it the SE Tremonti Signature, while the other site is calling it the SE Tremonti Custom.

http://www.toneworld.co.uk/electric-guitars-c36/new-electric-guitars-c37/prs-se-mark-tremonti-custom-signature-limited-edition-in-gray-black-p998

http://www.musicradar.com/totalguitar/prs-unveils-se-tremonti-custom-564553

When my local dealer I deal with placed my order on October the 5th, PRS told him it was called a SE Tremonti Custom.

This is a 22 fret model and a 25" scale which is like my sons Custom Semi-Hollow.

I find it very easy to play with the 25" scale.

My SE Santana is 24.5", and the Gibson SG is 24.75" like most Gibson electrics, and my Custom 24 is a 25" scale.

These SE guitars are a real value being around the $700 price point, and blow away other guitars costing twice the money whether US or overseas built.

If I do get a USA built PRS down the road, it will probably be the 408 with the maple top.

I was not really going to get back to playing a Les Paul shaped guitar again after having owned a Univox copy in the early 70s, and then finally a real '73 Les Paul Deluxe I got in that year.

I am glad I went for this new model, it plays very well.

Currently there are only a few videos up on YouTube of this new guitar.

Anderton's Music in the UK released a video earlier in the week testing one out, and also the SE245.

Here is the USA version of Marks guitar, it has gone through two versions with the first one having a stopbar tailpiece, and the newest one have the new up routing tremolo which from what I have read allows you to pull up on it also more like a Floyd Rose.

http://www.prsguitars.com/tremonti/

Good video of Mark's newest USA version Tremonti Signature in action.

It has been a nightmare getting this new guitar though.

Order placed October the 5th, and we waited and waited, and it never showed up.

My dealer called his PRS rep up, and she was surprised it had not shown up yet.

Upon further investigation she found out PRS shipping sent it to PA and not my WA state :(

Replacement was sent on Halloween (Wednesday) and it arrived eight days later at my dealer, but he informed me UPS broke it.

Something sharp like rebar or similar punched a whole in the top of the shipping box and went through the gig bag and finally the guitar :(

Another replacement was sent, but PRS does not provide some dealers with tracking numbers (they really need to change this policy) and he did not know the date it was shipped, as his rep could not get him an accurate date.

I finally got the call yesterday on Friday that it had arrived, and was in perfect shape.

Third times a charm???

Looks like it shipped on the 21st according to the UPS tracking number from the box.

Tukwila, WA, United States 11/30/2012 11:36 A.M. Delivered

11/30/2012 6:12 A.M. Out For Delivery

11/30/2012 5:15 A.M. Arrival Scan

Seattle, WA, United States 11/30/2012 4:44 A.M. Departure Scan

Seattle, WA, United States 11/29/2012 9:44 P.M. Arrival Scan

Laurel, MD, United States 11/26/2012 6:36 A.M. Departure Scan

Laurel, MD, United States 11/21/2012 10:18 P.M. Arrival Scan

Easton, MD, United States 11/21/2012 8:52 P.M. Departure Scan

11/21/2012 7:25 P.M. Origin Scan

United States 11/21/2012 3:44 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Nine days for this one, one extra day probably due to Thanksgiving last week.

Picked it up this morning since they had to work on it first with:

Planet Wave Autotrim Tuners, Ernie Ball Cobalt strings in 9-42, and then do a complete setup on it.

PRS does a setup too before it leaves Maryland, but my dealer goes over it with a fine tooth comb and makes sure everything is setup perfectly.

I then added the Schaller Strap Locks to it.

Also picked up the new TC Electronics Delay Flashback X4 pedal.

I like this much better than my Wampler Faux Tape Echo one, and will be giving that one to my youngest son for his guitar setup.

It also has a looper in it so I can record a rhythm track on it, play it back, and play lead over the top of it.

I had picked up the TC Electronics Dreamscape pedal a month back too that John Petrucci of Dream Theater uses, very cool pedal too.

Check out the vids at the URLs above and also YouTube on these very cool pedals.

I also inquired about that Gorgomyte stuff for fret boards and frets I read about on the official PRS forum, and they had some, and they threw in a pack.

This stuff is suppose to great for cleaning your fret board and frets when you do a string change.

http://gorgomyte.com/

On with some pics of my newest acquisition.

Is there a cure, I am not sure if I want to be cured ;)

The black/gray combo looks pretty nice I think.

I think it is time for me to look into a new camera too, not very happy with the way my pictures have been turning out as of late.

This is one thick guitar, much thicker than the regular SE Tremonti.

Weight wise I would put it on par with my SE Custom 24.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

It is Virtuoso time again.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

Got out the new Virtuoso Polish and did the new guitar with it.

I think this is the best polish for guitars.

To bad my camera is taking lousy pics, time to ask Santa for a new one.

They are just not turning out sharp anymore, and they get blurry.

Pictures do not do it justice, it is so reflective and smooth.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Archived