Gibson Brands Forums

1930's 2007 RI J 45.

JuanCarlosVejar

That's just an OJ re-issue, isn't it? Nothing J-45 about it, not even on the label. I'm surprised they seem to be representing this as something else, when the label is clear.

I think several folks here have these.

The description is totally garbled, and has nothing to do with the guitar in the photo.

Nice gushy over-the-top description, complete with errors. "The fingerboard also sports traditional binding over the fret ends, which was a staple feature of many classic Gibson acoustics for many years." And the photos clearly show an unbound board.

According to the label, it's a copy of an Original Jumbo, not a J-45...

thanks to you both .

I thought for a second it was a J 45 that had been done in 1930's fashion .

thanks for clarifying

beautiful guitar by any means

JC

It is gorgeous, that's for sure.

I love the burst on the back as well as the top.

An original one of these showed up as a basket case on ebay earlier this year, and went for a lot of money. Tom B probably owns a half dozen of them...... [biggrin]

I have an observation.

We have both a 1936 AJ and a 1935 Jumbo. They are both excellent bluegrass guitars, and they go out to jams. We also have a prewar Martin D-28.

When we bring out the old Herringbone, basically it is immediately recognized and worshiped -- as they should be :rolleyes:. But when the old Gibsons come out, which also deserve equal worship, they are not recognized -- they are almost universally thought to be J-45s. Now we have and love old J-45s, but they are not in the same class as old AJs and Jumbos -- ignorance is bliss I guess.

Let's pick,

-Tom

I have an observation.

We have both a 1936 AJ and a 1935 Jumbo. They are both excellent bluegrass guitars, and they go out to jams. We also have a prewar Martin D-28.

When we bring out the old Herringbone, basically it is immediately recognized and worshiped -- as they should be :rolleyes:. But when the old Gibsons come out, which also deserve equal worship, they are not recognized -- they are almost universally thought to be J-45s. Now we have and love old J-45s, but they are not in the same class as old AJs and Jumbos -- ignorance is bliss I guess.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tom ,

have you seen any prewar lefty jumbos ever (be them J 45,Original Jumbo's or AJ's) ?

I know gibson made at least one lefty OJ and a lefty 1939 J 35

and I've recently saw a 1939 lefty J 55 on ebay but that's it

thanks

God Bless

Tom ,

have you seen any prewar lefty jumbos ever (be them J 45,Original Jumbo's or AJ's) ?

I know gibson made at least one lefty OJ and a lefty 1939 J 35

and I've recently saw a 1939 lefty J 55 on ebay but that's it

thanks

God Bless

I have never seen a 30s lefts jumbo or AJ -- I did see that J-55 and I have seen both lefty J-35s and J-45s. Of course, the earliest J-45s were 1942.

Best,

-Tom

I don't get why they don't use some proper open gear Kluson tuners on that guitar.

For some reason, Gibson just can't help tinkering with the original specification on re-issues, as we've seen time and time again. Some of this tinkering bothers me, other parts don't.

they might have had those tuners in some box left over from another project ... and they used them on thos OJ's .

I believe they did that in the old days .

JC

I was thinkig the same thing. In particular, there seems to be a lot of variation in tuners on Gibsons produced in the 30's and 40's. As an example, I've looked at several 1947 L-7's like mine with orginal tuners, but they were not all the same. Some were the single open-back tuners on an oval plate, others single closed-back Kluson tuners (single-rings, like the ones that came on mine).

Maybe Tom Barnwell could chime in here at some point about the tuners on his 30's Gibsons.

Both Kluson and Grover started making tuners in the early 1920's, as far as I've been able to determine. A lot of the early three-on-a-plate open-back tuners don't have branding on them, I believe.

I think the tuners were actually pretty consistent.

Although you will always get a bit overlap, you could just about date a Gibson by the Kluson tuners alone. The tuners on a 1930s J-35 would have a plate with the circular manufacturer and patent stamps on the top and the gears held in place by screws. The early Banner J-45s had tuners with the gears held in place by rivets. The manufacturers stamp was moved at a certain year and so on.

The ones in on this guitar look more like something from the 1950s. But in the end, it really does not matter. It is just aesthetics. I guess I was just wondering aloud as it would seem a simple thing to put some nice reproduction bent tap open gear tuners on the guitar.

Archived