Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Lucille treeble bleed: how to do it ?

Guido-Italy

Hello I'm Guido from Italy.

I have a problem with my Epiphone B B King Lucille , when I lower the volume pot under 5 position I hear a loss of high frequency so the sound beig more dark.

I do this t use the crunch or lead channel fo preamp to obtain a a very low overdrive sound used in blues music.

I know is possible solve this problem by treeble bleed with capacitor in serial or paralell to volume pot , but I don't know how to do this .

Someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Guido

Thanks Eric.

I found schema and it's easy to understand and do.

However there are 3 important questions :

1- someone tell that treble bledd mod has bad effect in tone guitar on each volume by adding a high freq , not only at lower volume.

2- As you know Lucille guitar has varitone : has Treble bleed mod effects in varitone use , since his effect on high freq amount ?

3- How to define exact vlaue of capacitor and resistor ? What type is better for each one ?

Should I have the same effect of treble bleed mod by connecting input of tone pot to out of volume pot ( in this way when you reduce volume and level of signal to output jack you reduce at the same time also the signal level to tone pot input so the cut of high freq is minor and proportional to volume decrease) , without any influence in sound and varitone disease ( malfunction )as I tell before ?

Excuse for my English I hope you understand meaning of my words .

In attachment schema of Gibson Lucille wiring ( I suppose that Epiphone model use the same ) and Epiphone Sheraton wiring , when you can see in particular wiring of pickup signal to vol and tone pot : the entire signal of pickup is send to both pot , so when you decrease vol, to tone pot is send always the entire signal and at lower vol the sound became dark

thinline.gif

sheratonII%20wiring.JPG

Here you can see another schema

Epiphone Lucille wiring

BYE

Guido

1- someone tell that treble bledd mod has bad effect in tone guitar on each volume by adding a high freq , not only at lower volume.

2- As you know Lucille guitar has varitone : has Treble bleed mod effects in varitone use , since his effect on high freq amount ?

You can have the best of both!

First, do the treble bleed mod. Don't assume there will be a problem. But if you find the tone unpleasing in some situations, just install new volume pots with "push-pull" switches. Wire the switches to disconnect the treble bleeds when not desired. That way, you can have the treble bleed at low volume settings, then switch back to stock wiring instantly when the treble bleed does not sound good, all with no permanent mods to the guitar!

God bless, Spamonkis

Archived