Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPHONE 6735 E

thegreattailz

Hey, just have an old epiphone 12 string, just trying to get some information on it. 6735 E MADE IN KALAMAZOO MICHIGAN Seems to have been a heirloom. Pop says he paid about $400 back then which was worth several weeks paychecks (Which was alot back then, prob equavalent to around $900 today) The guitar seems to be in great condition, despite surviving me and my sisters childhood. (Im 36) Ive included pics from my cell phone, sorry if they're not very good quality. Any info on its value would help, thanks.

post-51986-078539600 1356406237_thumb.pngpost-51986-078539600 1356406237_thumb.png

Sometime in 70-71 the Epiphone's started being made in Japan, I've seen some that look a lot like your's that are 70 or 71's that have the "Made in Japan" label. They did send a lot of left-over label's (blank) to Japan so some of the Japanese made one's from 70 or 71 have the old Kalamazoo label on them but are stamped "Made in Japan". So I'd say that if yours is indeed a USA Kalamazoo it is a 1969. [biggrin]

http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=1970-71_Model_Series

All of the 6XXX Model guitars were made in Japan. One if the easiest ways to tell if an Epiphone acoustic was made in Japan (aside from the "made in japan" stamp) are the bolt-on necks. Some models, like the 6XXX, had a neck plate, while others hade bolted necks from inside of the guitar, horzontal with the heel. These models also seemed to be budget versions of the FT-Series guitars.

Although Made in Japan, I believe this model was only made a year or so making it a not so easy to find model. Epiphones of the early 1970s seem to have pretty much been re-badged Arias or something so you might be able to find its twin with another name on the headstock. I do doubt, however, that it sold for $400 when new. You could buy a brand new Martin D-18 in the early 1970s for $325.00. My opinion though is that a guitar passed down in the family is priceless.

• 1 month later...

FWIW,

It was not MADE in Kalamazoo. Read it again, it says simply Kalamazoo, Michigan. Just the name of a town in Michigan. At most it is the place where Matsumoku sent the invoice for these imports before Epiphone operations were moved to Lincolnwood, IL. Early on in the Matsumoku manufacture, the 6xxx models especially, blue K'zoo labels were shipped to Japan until a local source could be found. (this is speculation). These K'zoo labels were identical to previous Kalamazoo production. I speculate this because I've seen a couple instances where the labels, which read 'Union Made' in the lower left corner, were applied to these Japanese made guitars. The "Union Made' was lined out with black marker and 'Made in Japan' was rubber stamped in the lower right corner. Age has faded the black marker and 'Union Made' shows through. These 'made in' notations are below the logo's border and the edge of the paper. Some unscrupulous sellers will razor off the 'made' in margin, leaving the border intact. But, the border is now closer to the edge of the paper than the other 3 sides. Be aware of this when buying Epiphones.

The suggested list price on this 12 string was likely half the $400 your pappy says he paid for it. The dealer is legally within his rights to sell for more than the suggested list. Caveat Emptor. That or your pappy may be a bit fuzzy on the details or he bought a whole lot of go-withs when he bought it, likely a few 'free' lessons.

Enjoy your heirloom. It's quite a catch.

Archived