Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Pickups and Pots

Roverdog

I have CS336 that I want to change out the Stock PUs and pots and replace with a WCR CherryBurst PUs and Push/Pull pots. My problem is how to change the pots. There is no access plate on the back, like there is on a LP or SG. I have an older set of Gibson Pots that came out of my LP and just for curiosity I checked to see if the pot would fit through the F hole and it wouldn't fit. Will I be able to install the pots through the Bridge PU hole, once I remove the PU?

Thanks in Advance

I have CS336 that I want to change out the Stock PUs and pots and replace with a WCR CherryBurst PUs and Push/Pull pots. My problem is how to change the pots. There is no access plate on the back, like there is on a LP or SG. I have an older set of Gibson Pots that came out of my LP and just for curiosity I checked to see if the pot would fit through the F hole and it wouldn't fit. Will I be able to install the pots through the Bridge PU hole, once I remove the PU?

Thanks in Advance

Usually, that's how it's done.

Of corse, if you you remove the bridge pup, you will see. Also, you should be able to see how the ground wire is attached onto the sheilding.

The easiest way to do the whole thing, is to make a template of the controls and solder them all together as they sit oriented the way they will fit in the guitar- they will move around as you scrunch them in, but they go into place much easier.

RS Guitarworks has a few videos that may give you some ides. I think there may be 5 in the series. The guy doing it uses plastic hose but some use strings to guide the new pots in.

And this from Will Kelly at Vintage Guitar Mag.

Using plastic tubing works great to fish the pots through the guitar body. You can tie a string or a wire to the jack to pull it back into place. Sometimes all the tubing will get a little tight in there but it works good.

You might need a mirror to stick thru the f hole to look inside the body.

It's a tedious job but not complicated. [thumbup]

Archived