Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul question

bobbyleigh

Hello there and welcome..

Difference between a LP Classic and a Standard is not much..

Pickups on a Classic are the 496R and 500T which are super hot ceramic pickups.. Too hot for some but I love them.. You get the real 80s Slash type sounds.. And the necks on Classics are 60s slim tappered (rather than fat 50s necks thats on a lot of LPs). Oh and you get the old style ABR 1 bridge on the Classics too.

Standards, well it depends on what year your talking about as they change.. But usually you will get some kind of Burstbucker type pickups. Which are a bit mellower.. And again the necks change depending on what year..

Really all of the Standard level guitars are very similar.. All of the differences are the pickup/hardware types and the necks. Apart from that they are all made in the same way so is down to personal preference. So thats the Traditionals, the Classics and Standards and a few others.. All much a muchness.

Hope that helps.. and if you have further questions just ask.. thats why we are here :)

I was wondering what is the difference between a Les Paul Classic and a Les Paul Standard?

Thanks for the info.

Here's another question for you. Why did Gibson stop using the old style ABR-1 bridge and start using the "Nashville bridge" on Les Pauls? Also, is the overall sound affected or different because of the difference in bridge and sandles? I own both types of Les Pauls, and there appears to be subtle differences in the tone of the guitar because of it. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks Bob

Here's another question for you. Why did Gibson stop using the old style ABR-1 bridge and start using the "Nashville bridge" on Les Pauls? Also, is the overall sound affected or different because of the difference in bridge and sandles? I own both types of Les Pauls, and there appears to be subtle differences in the tone of the guitar because of it. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks Bob

Hmm.. im not sure it really makes that much difference.. If anything a better bridge (from what I have heard and if there really is such a thing) usually goes to increase sustain very sligtly .. I really doubt theres any tonal difference,

The thing about Gibsons (and most guitars really).. is that each bit of wood sounds ever so slightly different and you could have ten of the same guitar and model and each one will sound ever so slightly different depening on setup and pickup height etc....The type of pickups however do make a HUGE difference (which is probably what your hearing most).. The Classic pickups are way hotter and will give you nice higher end tones.. The Standard (probably, this is a guess) will be more mellow with good mid and bass tones.

What year is your Standard?

I have a Les Paul Classic and was wondering the year of it. I have a serial number inked on the back of the neck which is 033734. Would you happen to know the year of this guitar? I have looked and have had problems finding information on it.

Thats a 2003 model indicated buy the 03 at the front..

Classics and historic models and stuff like that have totally different serial numbers to Standards. Cos a Classic is based on a 60s guitar spec it uses the same type of seriel they did back then.

I have a fairly old LP custom (70-72),a LP classic, and two Les pauls that just say LES PAUL "MODEL" those are the ones with the "Nashville Bridge" also, they have the slimmer 60's neck. They are fairly recent models. Bob

Yeah I also have both types.. A 2002 Classic (in my avatar pic) and a 2008 Standard.. And so yeah I have both bridges too and the only difference I know is that one faces the pickup and one faces the stoptail.. lol :)

These are my babies

DSC01884.jpg

Id like to see some pics of yours.. The 70s one sounds interesting :)

Oh and you cant post pics if you use http://www.photobucket.com and use the IMG link (or if you have some other photo hosting site you use). You can put in five pics per post...

I use .009's on my Les Pauls, what is the opinion besides preference between using 9's or 10's on Les Pauls?

LOL.. totally personal preference.. use what you like the feel of and what sounds good to you..

I also use 9s (ernie ball super slinkys)...

I hear REALLY good things about the new Ernie Ball colbalt strings

you guys who are using the 009s strings... do you tune down too or do you play only with the standard tuning in E?

p.s.: what I dont like about the Classic: that you have to drill when you want to use locking tuners.

you guys who are using the 009s strings... do you tune down too or do you play only with the standard tuning in E?

p.s.: what I dont like about the Classic: that you have to drill when you want to use locking tuners.

Yup standard E for me.

Archived