Gibson Brands Forums

Epi TBird NR (90's Korea) + Thunderbuckers

Keats

Hi guys,

I bought recently a 90's Epiphone Thunderbird Non-Reverse, made in Korea (it has that PBass / JBass pickups configuration). The bass is not too damaged and I want to make some mods to make it a masterpiece, most probably a Fenderbird.

bass001.jpg

(not actually this one, but mine is the same model)

I'm looking for a vintage deep and sharp sound, then I found out the ThunderBuckers - http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/ - do you think the body can "hold" this pickups? With the proper shaping/carving, of course.

Will I need to get a new pickguard because of the neck pickup size/shape mismatch? If so, where can I found another one?

And does anyone tried to do this before? Can you share some samples of your final results?

Many thanks in advance and a happy new year!

Regards,

E. Keats

• 3 weeks later...

the Thunderbucker website says the pickup dimensions are 3.65" x 1.59". if the pickup's magnetic field will cover 5 strings, there's no reason you couldn't use them. if you look at the photos on the Thunderbucker homepage, the 3rd photo down shows the wound bobbbins and the blade. the blade should be long enough to cover the strings. the Thunderbucker guys might tell you how long the blade is, couldn't hurt to ask. as far as installing them, it shouldn't be a big deal to have a shop do it as long as they know what they're doing. the pickguard would probably have to be custom made. it might be less expensive and easier to upgrade the pickups keeping the p/j configuration. good luck and let us know what you decide.

Archived